[iwar] ACLU Online: As Bush Signs Law Enforcement Bill, ACLU Pledges to Monitor Impact on Civil Liberties (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-31 05:00:26

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 05:00:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] ACLU Online:  As Bush Signs Law Enforcement Bill, ACLU Pledges to Monitor Impact on Civil Liberties (fwd)

Per the message sent by ACLUOnline@aclu.org:

ACLU Online:  October 31, 2001
The e-newsletter of the American Civil Liberties Union

You can unsubscribe from ACLU Online -- or opt to receive a different version of the newsletter -- at any time by clicking on the link below:

*********************************

IN THIS ISSUE:
-- As Bush Signs Law Enforcement Bill, ACLU Pledges to Monitor Impact on Civil Liberties
-- Safe and Free Update: ACLU Joins Freedom of Information Request
-- News and Action: Facial Recognition Technology, DC Domestic Partners
-- What YOU Can Do to Protect Our Freedoms

*********************************

AS BUSH SIGNS LAW ENFORCEMENT BILL, ACLU PLEDGES TO MONITOR IMPACT ON CIVIL LIBERTIES

As President Bush signed new sweeping law enforcement legislation last
week, the ACLU pledged anew to work with the Bush Administration and law
enforcement agencies to ensure that civil liberties in America are not
eroded by the newly approved USA Patriot Act.

"The passage of this broad legislation is by no means the end of the
story," said Anthony D.  Romero, ACLU Executive Director.  "We will now
work with ACLU affiliates around the country to monitor its
implementation.  The ACLU remains firm in our belief that we can be both
safe and free."

On Friday afternoon, in fact, ACLU officials met with FBI Director
Robert Mueller, the second meeting in what the ACLU hopes will be a
continuing dialogue with the nation's top law enforcement authorities.
The ACLU will use these meetings to express its continuing concerns
about the anti-terrorism legislation and other government actions.

"We cannot as a nation allow very legitimate public anxiety to immunize
the Administration and Congress from their obligation to protect the
Bill of Rights and the fundamental values that document embodies," said
Laura W.  Murphy, Director of the ACLU's Washington National Office.

Congress adopted the bill signed by President Bush in near record time
with only one public hearing and little debate.  In fact, under intense
pressure from Attorney General John Ashcroft, Republican leaders in the
House torpedoed compromise legislation adopted unanimously by the House
Judiciary Committee in a late-night deal with the Justice Department.

"These new and unchecked powers," said Gregory T.  Nojeim, Associate
Director of the ACLU's Washington Office, "could be used against
American citizens who are not under criminal investigation, immigrants
who are here within our borders legally and also against those whose
First Amendment activities are deemed to be threats to national security
by the Attorney General."

To learn more about how the ACLU is working to keep America SAFE and
FREE in this time of crisis, please click below:

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a45063a80483590a5

*********************************

SAFE AND FREE UPDATE: ACLU JOINS FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST

Compelled by the government's refusal to answer previous inquiries, the
ACLU has joined with a coalition of civil liberties, human rights and
electronic privacy organizations in filing a Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA) request for information about the individuals arrested or
detained since September 11.

On October 17, the ACLU wrote to Attorney General Ashcroft, saying that
it was troubled by reports that some detainees have been impeded in
their ability to contact lawyers and their families.  In that letter --
and in a subsequent meeting with FBI Director Robert Mueller -- the ACLU
asked for information about:

-- Those arrested or detained, the circumstances of their detention or
arrest and any charges brought against them.

-- Any lawyers representing any of the detainees.

-- Any courts that have been asked to enter orders sealing any
proceedings.

The ACLU recognizes that some aspects of this important investigation
are necessarily and appropriately confidential.  "But we also believe,"
Gregory T.  Nojeim, Associate Director of the ACLU's Washington National
Office said, "that specific information can and should be released to
assure the American public that the government's investigation is both
thorough and fair."

The text of the FOIA request can be found online at:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a45063a80483590a4

********************************

NEWS ROUND-UP

ACLU URGES AIRPORT OFFICIALS TO RECONSIDER USE OF FACIAL RECOGNITION TECHNOLOGY

In a letter sent last week to the Chair of the Rhode Island Airport
Corporation, the ACLU called on officials to reconsider their to
decision to install facial recognition technology at T.F.  Green
Airport.

The four-page letter points out that the effectiveness of the technology
is far below the highly inflated claims of the manufacturers of the
equipment.  The letter also raised concerns that, although purportedly
being implemented to catch terrorists, the technology would inevitably
be expanded to monitor and target other Americans.

To learn more about facial recognition technology and to read the full
text of the ACLU letter, please click below:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a45063a80483590a3

TAKE ACTION: URGE CONGRESS TO OPPOSE ANTI-DEMOCRATIC AMENDMENTS IN D.C.!

The Senate is expected to soon consider amendments known as "social
riders" to the District of Columbia appropriations bill.  These
amendments prevent the funding of measures approved by the D.C.
government or its citizens and thereby render them meaningl ess.

It is likely that this year's "social riders" will include a measure to
block the implementation of the D.C.  domestic partners law as well as
one that would prevent the use of federal or local money on needle
exchange programs.

We must support the right of District of Columbia residents and their
elected officials to decide policy questions for themselves.  But, most
importantly, we must allow them to protect their families and
communities as they see fit.

Take Action! Click below to send a FREE fax to your members of Congress
urging them to oppose these anti-democratic amendments:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a45063a80483590a1

********************************

YOU CAN HELP PROTECT OUR BASIC FREEDOMS by joining with nearly 300,000
card-carrying members of the ACLU.  Our rights as individuals -- the
very foundation of our great democracy -- depend on our willingness to
defend them, and as an ACLU member, you'll b e doing your part.  Click
below to safeguard our Bill of Rights by becoming an ACLU member:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a45063a80483590a0?cid=16&clrid=N

American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, New York 10004-2400
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a45063a80483590a9

Phil Gutis, Editor

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM