[iwar] [fc:He's.Baaaack!]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-31 05:21:31

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 05:21:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:He's.Baaaack!]

Washington Post
October 31, 2001
The Reliable Source
He's Baaaack!
By Lloyd Grove, Washington Post Staff Writer
"I'm not trying to pick a fight with Bill Cohen or Hugh Shelton," ex-House
Speaker Newt Gingrich assured us yesterday, referring to the former
secretary of defense and the just-retired chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff. "I've always praised Cohen in public."
Until now, that is.
Reviewing "Waging Modern War," former NATO commander Wesley Clark's account
of his troubles in Bosnia and Kosovo, Gingrich asserts on Amazon.com: "Clark
describes a pattern of destructive dishonesty that permeated the Clinton
Administration. Clark could never count on candor from Shelton (Chairman of
the Joint Chiefs), Secretary of Defense Cohen, or President Clinton.
Contrast that with the fact that we have every reason to believe President
Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretaries Powell and Rumsfeld. This
administration will prove far more reliable and far more honorable."
Cohen was traveling in Asia yesterday, and Shelton was flying home from
Britain, where he just picked up an honorary knighthood, but we discussed
Gingrich'sinsights (which can also be read on his Web site, Newt.org) with
Secret Service agent Jonathan Shelton, the general's 35-year-old son, and
Cohen associate Bob Tyrer.
"When we were at the Pentagon, we always had a very constructive
relationship with the speaker," said a nonplused Tyrer, who was Secretary
Cohen's chief of staff. "But I can't speak to the inner thoughts of the book
reviewer."
The younger Shelton told us: "I think my dad's history speaks for itself,
and I don't think Newt is quite in a position to lambaste an entire
administration. . . . From what I know about the whole situation, he's just
wrong." Shelton was too polite to mention that his father is a former Green
Beret who still jumps out of airplanes and knows how to kill with his bare
hands.
But Gingrich bravely refused to back off. "Clark's book has story after
story after story in which he can never get a straight answer from Shelton
or Cohen or Clinton," he said. "It's a devastating book and I would urge
people to look at it. I think it would validate my analysis. And if you
watched Bush, Cheney, Powell and Rumsfeld, it would validate my judgments."

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM