[iwar] [fc:Canuck.Spies.Alerted.U.S..To.Threat:.Minister]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-31 22:18:49

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:18:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Canuck.Spies.Alerted.U.S..To.Threat:.Minister]

Terror Tipoff From CSIS
Canuck Spies Alerted U.S. To Threat: Minister

Ref:  Ottawa Sun, 31 Oct 2001-10-31

by David Gamble, Parliamentary Bureau

CANADIAN spies tipped off the United States about a new terrorist threat south of
the border, Solicitor General Lawrence MacAulay said yesterday.

But Canadians are not in any danger, MacAulay and Prime Minister Jean Chretien insisted,
saying the threat ends at the international boundary.

U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft on Monday issued the second warning of an imminent
terrorist threat since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, thanks in part to help from
Canada, MacAulay said.

"I have information that CSIS has given me and they have also shared information
with the FBI which led Mr. Ashcroft to make the statement that he made," MacAulay
said.

"CSIS and the RCMP work all the time with the FBI and they've indicated, many, many
times to me how valuable the information is," Mac-Aulay said, refusing further details.

MacAulay also admitted that terrorist cells are active in Canada, something CSIS
and the RCMP have said but the minister has avoided until now.

Confronted about Ashcroft's warning by Tory Leader Joe Clark, Chretien insisted
Canadians need not worry.

"We are not under any special threat at this moment. I think we are on alert basis
all the time because there is always a danger, but there is no specific threat,"
Chretien said, suggesting Clark was "mad" that Canadians are not in danger.

MacAulay said he's also been assured by CSIS and the RCMP there is no "direct connection"
between Canada and the Sept. 11 attacks.

ABC News said the new warning was based on communications, including telephone intercepts
from known bin Laden associates from Canada to Asia, who spoke about an attack in
code recognized by intelligence officials.

However, U.S. intelligence is considering the possibility the terrorists, aware
of the extensive effort to intercept their communications, may be planting false
communications to disguise their real plans, officials said.

Clark, meanwhile, was angered by Chretien's and MacAulay's blanket denials of a
new terrorist threat to Canada.

"It's simply not good enough to pretend that somehow we are living in some La La
Land where a threat on the American side of the border does not constitute a threat
on the Canadian side of the border," Clark raged.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM