[iwar] [fc:Cyber-Security.Bill.Planned.By.House.Committee]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-01 05:50:45

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 05:50:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Cyber-Security.Bill.Planned.By.House.Committee]

Cyber-Security Bill Planned By House Committee
By Robert MacMillan, Newsbytes, 11/1/2001

House Science Committee Sherwood Boehlert, R-N.Y., today said that the
committee is planning legislation designed to address what he said are
shortcomings in the nation's critical infrastructure that open it to
cyber-attacks.
Boehlert, speaking in a Web chat today featuring high-tech CEOs and the
Bush administration's director of critical infrastructure protection,
Paul Kurtz of the National Security Council, said that the U.S. "has a
woefully inadequate investment in computer security."
Citing a report from a commission headed by Virginia Gov. James Gilmore,
R, Boehlert also said that there are few "top researchers" in the
computer security field, there are no agencies directly focusing on
computer security and that there is little market incentive for private
industry to invest in computer security.
"Our committee has a special responsibility to focus on the long term -
to ensure that the vulnerabilities we have today do not exist tomorrow,"
Boehlert said.
He added that "What the recent anthrax attacks and the attacks of Sept.
11 have in common is that they turn our own basic systems of daily
connections against us - in those cases, our postal system and our
transportation system.
"Turning our computer systems against us would seem to be a logical
extension of that mode of operation."
Gilmore's report recommended that the government create an interagency
entity to be responsible for coordinating federal cyber-security efforts
(something that President Bush did through an executive order this
month) as well as an independent "advisory body" to evaluate
cyber-defense programs and proposals.
Gilmore also recommended that the Y2K offices created by individual
government agencies to address the once-feared millennium computer bug
be kept online and morphed into agency-specific cyber-security offices.
Finally, Gilmore recommended the creation of a cyber-court to address
the threat posed by electronic attackers and the creation of a
not-for-profit body that can represent the needs of public and private
stakeholders in the security arena.
While little in this report has surprised anyone on or off Capitol Hill,
the focus on these issues has increased sharply in the wake of the Sept.
11 terrorist attacks in New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia, along with
a wave of cracking attacks, worms and viruses that have buffeted
Internet users during the past year.
One of the other proposals that has surfaced recently comes from Sen.
Ron Wyden, D-Ore., who in late September proposed a National Emergency
Technology - or NET - Guard. The NET Guard would function, Wyden said,
as a National Guard-style technology defense force comprising the
nation's technology workers, should a national technology crisis break
out.
The so-called NET Guard would use computer equipment, satellite dishes,
wireless communications devices and other methods to "quickly recreate
and repair compromised communications and technology infrastructures."
"With congressional support, the leaders of our nation's technology
companies could organize themselves, their employees, and their
resources for this purpose," Wyden said. "Medium- and small-sized
businesses would be able to contribute once a national framework was put
in place."
Wyden added that federal funding "need not be extensive."

Pogo Stick - Just $24.95!
Great gift idea for kids of all ages, from Youcansave.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/t5NeUC/QkNDAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM