[iwar] [fc:CAIR.continues.its.campaign.to.silence.American.voices]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-04 20:29:36

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 20:29:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:CAIR.continues.its.campaign.to.silence.American.voices]

  Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:01:47 -0500
To: <a href="mailto:cair-net@cair.biglist.com?Subject=Re:%20(ai)%20[Fwd:%20CAIR%20continues%20its%20deception%20and%20attack%20on%20US%20Security]%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;3BE215AB.F5FE4A90@speconsult.com">cair-net@cair.biglist.com</a>
From: CAIR &lt;<a href="mailto:cair@cair-net.org?Subject=Re:%20(ai)%20[Fwd:%20CAIR%20continues%20its%20deception%20and%20attack%20on%20US%20Security]%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;3BE215AB.F5FE4A90@speconsult.com">cair@cair-net.org</a>
Subject: CAIR-NET: Colorado Congressman Calls for Passenger Profiling

[Analysts Note: CAIR continues its campaign to silence American voices and
through omission (severe editing) presents a false view of events.
The discussion as presented by CAIR:]

COLORADO CONGRESSMAN CALLS FOR PASSENGER PROFILING
CNN WOLF BLITZER REPORTS
October 31, 2001
REP. SCOTT MCINNIS (R), COLORADO: Well, let me tell you that I'm not
sure of the word ethnic profiling. But I think the word profiling --
we all use profiling. CNN uses profiling, of course, to take a look at
who their viewers are out there. We use it in every activity of our
life. And, for God's sake, we ought to use profiling to protect the
national security of this country. I mean, not using it right now is
simply a diversion to our safety. And our safety has got to come
first.
BLITZER: So you are saying, Congressman McInnis, if someone looks like
he is an Arab or of Middle Eastern ancestry, be should singled out?
MCINNIS: Well, let me tell you, if you put that in a combination with
factors -- for example, these hijackers, we knew that they were all in
a certain age group. We knew that they were all male. We knew that
they were all Arab. We knew that they were of the Islamic faith. When
you put all of those factors together, you are darn right you better
pull those people aside and start asking some questions.
Almost every other country in the world does do that. And, frankly,
that's why Israel, for example, hasn't had a hijacking on one of their
aircraft...
...MCINNIS: But you have got to agree with me that when we have people
of Arab descent, for example, who buy a one-way ticket, who have no
baggage that get onto an airplane, and they're traveling some
distance, and they fall within a certain age range, and they belong to
a certain radical part of a religion, those people ought to be pulled
aside because of that profile. And that's profiling...
...MCINNIS: OK. I'm telling you that a profile utilizing a number of
different elements -- just like we do before we issue an insurance
policy to a teenage driver. We know that a teenager driver has a much
higher likelihood of speeding, much higher likelihood of driving. And,
therefore, we charge him more for insurance.
Now, you may call that discrimination. You may call that what is wrong
with America. I'm telling you it is what is needed in America for the
national defense of this country...
POLITE COMMENTS TO:
Congressman Scott McInnis
320 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Tel: (202) 225-4761
Fax: (202) 226-0622

      The portion from "Wolf Blitzer Reports" [CNN's trancript]

 Joining us now to discuss ethnic profiling are James Zogby. He's the
founder and president of the Arab American Institute. Also joining us
is Congressman Scott McInnis, Republican of Colorado.

Thanks to both of you.

Congressman McInnis, you be want the government to begin ethnic
profiling of passengers, for example, that go on planes. Why?

[...]

BLITZER: Jim Zogby, what do you say?

JAMES ZOGBY, ARAB AMERICAN INSTITUTE: Congressman, that's bizarre and
it's actually not very American. If you use that kind of system, what
you end with, as a colleague of yours, Darrell Issa, congressman from
California, a Republican Congressman, he was profiled and kept off an
Air France plane for precisely that reason.

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: We could have profiled him, but the fact is, is that the
mosquitoes that buzz don't bite. It's the ones that don't buzz do.
It's bad law enforcement to simply use an ethnic-based profile. You
can create... (CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: Congressman, let me finish.

(CROSSTALK)

BLITZER: One at a time, Congressman.

ZOGBY: Because I fly and you fly, and I'm as concerned with air safety
as you are. But what I don't want to see are women who are covered and
men who have beards and people who are of Arab descent simply singled
out for that reason. It is bad law enforcement. It is against the law
to do that.

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: And if you do -- if you do use that system, you will probably
let the guys who would commit crimes go and not catch them.

MCINNIS: Wait a second. Take a look -- in fact, your family -- as you
know, in your family, you use profiling in the polling business. We
use profiling -- for example, we go in on teenage pregnancy -- we go
in and profile teenage pregnancy to try and figure out how we can
resolve that problem.

We use profiling in marketing. We use profiling for high-risk drivers.
We need to use profiling for the security of this country. What you
are trying to do is be so politically correct that we are actually
gun-shy

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: ... come up with a very precise law enforcement technique that
will develop a profile.

MCINNIS: Well, let me ask you this.

ZOGBY: Can I -- if you would let me finish, I would tell you.

You can develop a profile in which ethnicity is but a factor that may
be an effective form of law enforcement.

MCINNIS: That is exactly what I'm saying.

ZOGBY: But the way we're using it right now, it's wrong.

MCINNIS: That's not what we're using it right now.

ZOGBY: When you take the Republican congressman and don't let him get
on plane

(CROSSTALK)

MCINNIS: Get off the partisan. This is not a Republican- Democrat
issue, Mr. Zogby. And you know that.

(CROSSTALK)

MCINNIS: Wait a second. Let's go back to your initial issue. I agree
with you that racial profiling should be more

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: Listen, when the pilot comes back and says, "I'm not flying
with Mohammed on the plane..."

BLITZER: One at a time, Congressman, please.

ZOGBY: And he says, "I'm not flying with Mohammed on the plane" and
makes the guy get off the plane even though he has passed all the
security clearance, he simply doesn't want a guy named Mohammed on the
plane. Or when you have three people taken off and denied the right to
fly because the pilot said he was uncomfortable because they were too
dark, and he wasn't sure who they were, and they turn out to be
Indians, but it doesn't matter. If you go that route, you end up going
the route of racism. It is wrong and it simply won't work. It's bad
law enforcement.

(CROSSTALK)

MCINNIS: That's right, but what you have presented is a very narrow
focus.

And on those three specific cases you just mentioned, I agree with
you.

ZOGBY: Well, there you go.

MCINNIS: But you have got to agree with me that when we have people of
Arab descent, for example, who buy a one-way ticket, who have no
baggage that get onto an airplane, and they're traveling some
distance, and they fall within a certain age range, and they belong to
a certain radical part of a religion, those people ought to be pulled
aside because of that profile. And that's profiling.

ZOGBY: But the fact is, is that we didn't know they belonged to a
radical part of the religion.

MCINNIS: I know. But, you know, we can determine at our airports

(CROSSTALK)

MCINNIS: Wait a second. You asked me to let me finish.

ZOGBY: Yes. I will let you finish. I will.

MCINNIS: OK. I'm telling you that a profile utilizing a number of
different elements -- just like we do before we issue an insurance
policy to a teenage driver. We know that a teenager driver has a much
higher likelihood of speeding, much higher likelihood of driving. And,
therefore, we charge him more for insurance. Now, you may call that
discrimination. You may call that what is wrong with America. I'm
telling you it is what is needed in America for the national defense
of this country.

ZOGBY: If it's -- now, I would like to finish. Let me just go on for a
moment. If it's ethnic based and solely ethnic based -- which is what
subjective profiling has been doing over the last several years...

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: Let me make my point, sir.

MCINNIS: Well, you are misleading the public out there.

ZOGBY: I am not misleading the public.

MCINNIS: Yes, you are.

ZOGBY: I am dealing with this issue every single day because I'm
getting the victims who are calling me. And I have been dealing with
this issue for 10 years.

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: A 69-year-old Syrian woman gets her luggage strewn all over on
the floor because she was singled out because she had a head scarf on.
It is wrong.

MCINNIS: Mr. Zogby

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: And let me tell you something, Congressman. If you want to stop
this problem, you would to what Victoria Cummock just said in the
segment before this. If we have the plane secured, if the pilot's door
is bolted, if we do the proper checks on luggage, if we do all the
things that were recommended a decade ago to make the plane secure and
the airport secure, it doesn't matter who is on the plane. Nothing can
happen.

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: In fact, if we had use the computerized -- the CAPS system, it
was called -- of profiling fact, the fact that these men did buy
one-way, first-class tickets with cash the day before, they should
have been profiled. It had nothing do with their religion. It had
nothing to do with their ethnicity or their age group. They should
have been stopped. But they weren't because the system broke down. If
you do the system the way it was intended to be done, without
violating constitutional rights, the system will work.

(CROSSTALK)

ZOGBY: We haven't done it right.

MCINNIS: The system you're talking about, sure, who would object to
that system? It sounds like a great system. But for to you say that we
have a right to look at the baggage, we have a right to look at what
has gone on to the airplane, but we have no right to question the
people on the airplane, you are crazy.

We have got to protect the people of this country. You have taken
political correctness to an extreme end of the spectrum. I'm in the
middle there. And I'm saying we need it for national security.

BLITZER: Congressman McInnis, Jim Zogby, unfortunately, we are all out
of time. If you want to continue this debate, we can continue it
tomorrow. We will talk about it later -- a good discussion. Thanks to
both of you for joining us.