[iwar] [fc:Computer.Nets.Escape.Attacks]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-04 20:46:28

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 20:46:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Computer.Nets.Escape.Attacks]

Computer Nets Escape Attacks
By William B. Scott, Aviation Week &amp; Space Technology, 11/2/2001

U.S. Space Command's ''cyberwarriors'' remain on high alert for
potential terrorist attacks against Defense Dept. computer networks,
but, so far, there's been no increase in activity. Whether they have
launched offensive computer operations against identified terrorist
groups is unknown.
Probes by hackers of all stripes have fallen off since the Sept. 11
attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. Even after the air
campaign in Afghanistan began on Oct. 7, assaults on Defense networks
remained inconsequential.
''We turned our sensors up to ultrasensitive because we weren't sure
what to expect after [the attacks],'' said Army Lt. Gen. Edward G.
Anderson, 3rd, deputy commander-in-chief of U.S. Space Command (USSC).
''We're still waiting to see if something's going to happen, but we
haven't seen it yet. It's a pleasant surprise . . . [but] we don't
expect this condition to continue.''
ANALYSTS DETERMINED that one possible reason for the decreased number of
probes is ''no one wanted to be linked to the Sept. 11 events, so they
kind of shut down,'' he said.
The command believes it is well positioned to fulfill its mission of
computer network operations (CNO) for the entire Defense Dept. CNO
combined USSC's dual responsibilities of computer network defense and
computer network attack (CND/CNA). To provide support for U.S.
warfighting commanders-in-chief, ''we felt we had to consolidate the two
-- a single commander, coordinating organization, oversight and support
function,'' Anderson explained. ''And, if we're going to employ computer
network attack tools, we damn sure better have our defenses in line.''
The Bush Administration has shown ''a great awareness of both our
vulnerability and the increased capabilities of threats'' to the
nation's computer networks, he observed. White House officials also
understand the Pentagon's dependence on computer networks is both a
strength and a vulnerability. Military forces around the world rely on
satellite and terrestrial links to rapidly distribute digital data.
Everything from the collection of intelligence to moving supplies
depends on U.S. forces achieving and maintaining ''information
superiority'' during a conflict. Any disruption of that data flow could
be disastrous.
As a result, USSC believes ''it would be very reasonable for a threat
force to conclude they need to go after those information'' channels,
Anderson said. ''I'm sure they'd be developing [the means] to diminish,
degrade or destroy our capabilities.''
He emphasized that information superiority is highly dependent on
''space control,'' an issue of perennial importance to the joint space
command. However, the U.S. is sorely lacking in this department. ''As we
look at tomorrow, one of the major shortcomings we see is space
control,'' the general said. ''In order to provide information
superiority in times of crisis or conflict, we believe we have to have
space control.''
Today, the U.S. can claim space superiority, but not space control, he
noted. Space systems -- both ground and orbital -- are considered
relatively safe from potential terrorist attacks, given the adversaries'
capabilities. That confidence does not extend to the information side,
however.
''I see 'cyberspace' in a different context. In CNO, we are engaged in
warfighting today. We have folks [working] 24-7, protecting and
defending the defense information infrastructure,'' Anderson said. ''To
be honest, CNO is what keeps me awake at night. We have a huge
dependence on cyber systems, but we're in an area here that we largely
don't know what we don't know.''
Still, his greatest concern is reserved for attacks by nation states,
not terrorists or hackers. When the Code Red ''worm'' struck the nation
last summer, there was little impact on Defense networks, thanks to
procedures put in place by a USSC Joint Task Force (JTF) for CNO. Since
its activation in April, the JTF has proven its mettle during several
CNO events, Anderson said.
While the ''trend lines of [network attacks] have gone up very, very
steeply in the past two years,'' USSC has learned a great deal about how
to detect, then defend against those probes. Officials at USSC become
tight-lipped when questioned about CNA, but it is clear significant
advances have been made there, too.
''WHAT WE'RE LEARNING is that, while cyberspace could be a significant
vulnerability -- if we don't take proper measures -- it also could be a
very effective [attack] tool,'' Anderson said. ''We're learning more and
more'' as the JTF and USSC gain experience.
A significant improvement in recent years has been the ability to
predict the outcome of a computer network attack launched by the U.S.
Although there is still a dearth of simulation and modeling tools
available to predict the consequences of offensive computer-network
actions, Anderson said his cyberwarriors are extremely ''sensitive to
collateral damage and fratricide'' in the cyber world. He declined to
expand on the point, citing security issues.
Based on discussions with military officials, Los Alamos National
Laboratory computer scientists and experienced computer security
consultants, it is highly likely that the U.S. has the means to
manipulate satellite and terrestrial communications data streams. If
Osama bin Laden's terrorist organization has been reduced to reliance on
space-based voice and data channels, as the Pentagon has indicated, it
may be acting on ''polluted'' information -- thanks to sophisticated
computer network attacks.
Anderson hinted at such capabilities when he acknowledged that the U.S.
can affect space-based resources ''on the ground.'' ''I think, at some
point, we'll talk about 'information control,' and that's critical to
information superiority,'' he said.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!