[iwar] [fc:Energy.ramps.up.its.cyber-security]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-06 16:22:44

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:22:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Energy.ramps.up.its.cyber-security]

Energy ramps up its cyber-security
By Patricia Daukantas, Government Computer News, 11/5/2001

Public-key infrastructure and IT security training are two top
priorities for the Energy Department as it recovers from the security
lapses that sparked widespread criticism in 1999 and 2000.

John L. Przysucha, Energy's associate CIO for cybersecurity, said his
office is setting up an online knowledge center where managers can
discuss drafts of computer security policies.
Przysucha, a 12-year veteran at Energy and its former year 2000 program
manager, said the office develops computer and telecommunications
security policies for the entire department, from headquarters to the
diverse field offices and national laboratories.
Two years ago, as a result of numerous security missteps at Energy's Los
Alamos National Laboratory, Przysucha's office took over security
policymaking for the department's classified and unclassified computers.
The cybersecurity office also funds the Computer Incident Advisory
Capability group at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, which
Przysucha called DOE's answer to a computer emergency response team.
PKI In 2002
Przysucha's staff is starting its fiscal 2002 initiatives at fiscal 2001
funding levels. Since Oct. 1, the federal government had been running on
a continuing resolution in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
The department has already purchased 20,000 digital certificates from
Entrust Technologies Inc. of Plano, Texas, Przysucha said.
During fiscal 2002, Energy will launch one or two systems‹human
resources and possibly procurement‹that will use PKI to authenticate
transactions.
Energy officials envision a pay and personnel system that lets workers
view their annual leave statements and carry out certain transactions,
Przysucha said.
"My training program far exceeded my expectations as far as the number
of people that we were able to train in one fiscal year," he said.
Przysucha's office has trained 2,000 workers in fiscal 2000 and 4,200 in
fiscal 2001 through the SANS Institute of Bethesda, Md., and
Energy-developed courses.
The in-house courses cover such topics as communications security, PKI
and management of classified systems, Przysucha said. The department
also has funded 24 security conferences. Przysucha said his staff
recently developed a cybersecurity forensics curriculum that will
probably be offered to the department next year.
Culture Clashes

One goal of the forensics course will be to teach Energy employees what
not to do in the event of a cyberattack. "Some people have a tendency to
destroy the evidence that's needed to do any investigation into their
particular problem," Przysucha said.
For example, a systems administrator might reload all the software onto
a server and end up overwriting evidence of the attack, he said.
The cybersecurity knowledge center is being used on a limited basis
right now, Przysucha said. It's designed to provide security
policymakers with an online place to discuss issues.
The diversity of the Energy Department‹it has a large scientific
community, a major role in U.S. weapons research and environmental
cleanup responsibilities‹sometimes leads to culture clashes over
security, Przysucha said.
"We've taken a very risk-based approach to our policy," Przysucha said.
"Our risk is viewed differently at each site.
"If you're a weapons lab, certainly the risks are different than if
you're [doing] open science. So our policy calls for a graded approach,
not one-size-fits-all. It's very hard to balance that writing of policy,
but that's the challenge that we have in this office."
Energy will have some involvement with the new Homeland Security Office,
Przysucha said, though he declined to provide further details.
He praised the recent designation of Richard A. Clarke as special
adviser to the president for cyberspace security.
Major Programs

- Wireless IT Program. Energy uses land-based mobile radio networks for
most of its mobile communications. Conventional single-channel systems
are deployed in sparsely populated areas and typically use the VHF band.
Trunked system architectures are deployed in most areas with a large
number of Energy workers and typically use the UHF band.
- Information Architecture Program. The program was Energy's latest step
in the development of a systems architecture process for making IT
investment decisions. The project's purposes were to identify the
department's business functions and the cross-cutting information needed
to carry them out; to define the applications and technology needed to
store and manage the information; and to recommend a specific plan for
moving forward.
- Computer Accommodation Program. Energy provides accessibility services
to employees with disabilities in compliance with Section 508. Since the
program began in 1993, the number of employees with disabilities has
increased dramatically, and the diversity of disabilities has broadened
significantly. The program provides assistive technologies such as large
monitors and speech recognition software for visually impaired users,
ergonomic workstations for workers with physical disabilities and
captioning devices for the hearing-impaired.

Reported by Government Computer News, http://www.gcn.com.