[iwar] [fc:Today's.focus:.NIPC.provides.valuable.services]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-07 19:08:33

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:08:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Today's.focus:.NIPC.provides.valuable.services]

Today's focus: NIPC provides valuable services

By M.E. Kabay, Network World, 11/7/2001
www.nwfusion.com
The Web site of the National Infrastructure Protection Center  is packed
with useful information for network managers.

According to the site, National Infrastructure Protection  Center (NIPC)
was established in February 1998 with the mission  of serving "as the
U.S. government's focal point for threat  assessment, warning,
investigation, and response for threats or  attacks against our critical
infrastructures. These  infrastructures, which include
telecommunications, energy,  banking and finance, water systems,
government operations, and  emergency services, are the foundation upon
which our  industrialized society is based."

The Web site is at: http://www.nipc.gov/about/about.htm

NIPC supports information sharing among government, law  enforcement,
academia and business. It supports the InfraGard  program that has been
growing throughout the United States with  the help of local FBI
offices; as the Secretary of the Vermont  InfraGard, I have been
delighted to see the growth in  participation in our meetings since the
initial discussions a  year ago. For more information about that
program, see: http://www.infragard.net/

NIPC provides three levels of warnings about threats to the infrastructure: Assessments
(awareness materials), Advisories (recommendations for security improvements) and
Alerts (news  about
specific attacks in progress or anticipated soon). These  documents may
be received by e-mail subscription at no cost and  are available on the
Web: http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/warnings.htm

In addition, NIPC offers free security publications, mostly in  Acrobat
PDF, including the CyberNotes, which are published  every two weeks and
provide an excellent summary of top- priority issues in our field.
Archives of all the issues are  available online.

CyberNotes http://www.nipc.gov/cybernotes/cybernotes.htm

On the page marked "Legal Issues," NIPC provides summaries of  important
computer crime laws, guidelines on searching and  seizing computers, and
some pointers to resources on  information security education and
training, including "Safety  Tips for Kids on the Internet."

The Major Investigations page gives details of the most current  arrest
and prosecution of computer criminals. At this writing,  there is a
fascinating account from Aug. 14, 2001, of the  arrest of two Khazak
nationals arrested in London and charged  with breaking into the
"Bloomberg computer system in Manhattan  in an attempt to extort money
from Bloomberg." http://www.nipc.gov/investigations/investigations.htm

NIPC Incident Reports are a method for systematically  describing a
computer security incident and submitting your  report to the NIPC and
the FBI. In addition to serving a useful  function in keeping law
enforcement up to date on the current  situation, these reports can
serve internally as a model for  all incident reporting, whether
transmitted to external  agencies or not.

I must emphasize, however, that the value of contributing to  the common
stock of knowledge about computer security breaches  is greater than
ever due to the threat of cyberattack on  resources of the United States
and other countries in the wake  of military action against terrorists
worldwide. Please do your  part as good corporate citizens to keep
America strong by  reporting computer crimes promptly.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XwUZwC/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM