[iwar] [risks] Risks Digest 21.76 (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-20 12:23:05

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:23:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [risks] Risks Digest 21.76 (fwd)

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:03:56 -0700
From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject: IP: 800 directory "assistance" redirecting calls

  [From David Farber's IP
    http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/]

IPers might be interested in something that happened to me today. I am
planning a trip to Denver, and wanted to stay at the Adam's Mark hotel.  Not
knowing the toll-free number for the chain, I called 800-555-1212 (toll-free
information) to ask for the number.

"Toll-free directory assistance, powered by TellMe!" said a recorded
message. I told the recording that I wanted the number of the Adam's Mark.

However, instead of receiving the correct number for the chain (listed on
their Web site as 800-444-ADAM), I received a different number:
800-866-5038. This number was not actually the number of the hotel chains,
but rather that of a third party room wholesaler in Orlando, Florida.

Calling the correct number, I confirmed that the hotel chain had no idea
that calls were being diverted to a third party.

As the economy continues into recession, we are likely to see more and more
instances of "customer hijacking," in which companies -- perceiving their
markets as a zero sum game -- work to grab customers from one another in any
way possible, regardless of ethics. "Slamming," and the hijacking of ISPs'
DSL customers by ILECs, are only two of the many other hijacking techniques
which are now becoming prevalent in slowly growing, or shrinking, markets.

Brett Glass