[iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 11/20/01 (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-20 20:57:40

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:57:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 11/20/01 (fwd)

November 20, 2001

Playboy says hacker stole customer info Playboy.com has alerted
customers that an intruder broke into its Web site and obtained some
customer information, including credit card numbers.  The online unit of
the nearly 50-year-old men's magazine said in an e-mail to customers
that it believed a hacker accessed "a portion" of Playboy.com's computer
systems.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-7932825.html
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/11/20/playboy.hacked/index.html

Hackers attack 156 web sites in Vietnam Hackers have attacked 156 web
sites in Vietnam, replacing the contents with self-introductory
information, Vietnam's state-owned Internet gateway said Tuesday.  The
web sites were attacked early Sunday morning and it took about 10 hours
to restore the sites, Vietnam Data Communications Co.  said.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/077738.htm

New Worm Targets Microsoft SQL Servers A new Internet worm that targets
poorly secured systems running Microsoft's SQL Server software is on the
loose but unlikely to spread widely, security experts reported today.
The worm, which has not yet been named, appears to target Microsoft SQL
servers which have no password on the system administrator account,
according to a preliminary analysis of the code by participants on
Incidents, a mailing list for tracking computer intrusions.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/172321.html

Web becomes battlefield in war on terror Before Sept.  11, if you were
clever enough to infiltrate a federal computer network, you were
considered a hacker.  Following the recent passage of the USA Act, which
grants law enforcement sweeping powers to investigate and prosecute
potential threats to national security, you could be labeled a
"cyberterrorist" and face up to 20 years in prison.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2001/11/20/web-battlefield.htm

FBI software cracks encryption wall.  =91Magic Lantern=92 part of new
=91Enhanced Carnivore Project=92.  The FBI is developing software
capable of inserting a computer virus onto a suspect=92s machine and
obtaining encryption keys, a source familiar with the project told
MSNBC.com.  The software, known as =93Magic Lantern,=94 enables agents
to read data that had been scrambled, a tactic often employed by
criminals to hide information and evade law enforcement.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/660096.asp

Online meetings lax on security Holding meetings via the Internet is
more popular since Sept.  11 as companies cut back on travel.  But
experts say many companies don't realize the security risk that
cyber-meetings pose.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2001/11/20/online-meeting-security.htm

SafeWeb sidelines anonymity for security Online start-up SafeWeb has
dismantled its free privacy service, which sheltered individuals'
identities and movements as they scanned the Web.  The Emeryville,
Calif.-based company, which launched its free service last year, said
the high cost of bandwidth and a lack of ad-related profits contributed
to the closure.  The company posted a notice on its Web site last week
saying that it has suspended the free service.  "For the time being, we
are turning off our free consumer service," the notice said.  "In the
future, we may relaunch the service on a subscription basis."
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7924173.html

Biometrics and the new security age A nascent technology is rushed to
the front line.  The next time you fly through Boston, your eyes, nose
and mouth may be scrutinized =97 digitally cross-checked with the eyes,
noses and mouths of suspected terrorists.  Starting this month, Logan
International Airport will try out two facial recognition systems
designed to boost security after two hijacked planes originating at the
airport changed the course of history.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/654788.asp

Will spyware work? Technology will never give us the security we crave.
As the United States tries to grapple with the new realities of war and
terrorism, questions for its intelligence community keep coming: How
could something like Sept.  11 occur without plans being detected? Who
was tracking the activities of suspected terrorists inside the country?
How were they even here in the first place?
http://www.msnbc.com/news/660322.asp

Broadband ISPs Shouldn't Knock Down Firewalls Citing finicky
configuration problems, the major high-speed providers discourage their
use -- a backward and dangerous policy.  Get rid of my firewall? Only
when you pry my cold dead fingers from the keyboard.  That has been my
attitude toward firewalls on home PCs running broadband connections ever
since I started writing about security and got truly paranoid about evil
hackers stealing all sorts of personal information from my desktop -- or
worse.
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/287

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!