[iwar] [fc:Congress.Awakens.to.Net.Security]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-25 21:43:39

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:43:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Congress.Awakens.to.Net.Security]

Congress Awakens to Net Security

By Paul Coe Clark III, The Net Economy, 11/20/01 Theneteconomy.com

Congress is, finally, getting a bit of a clue on computer and Internet
security.

At the least, that is, legislators are awakening to the idea that there
are long-term, pervasive weaknesses in our digital infrastructure that
could be exploited by terrorists.

That is not to say that most legislators understand those
vulnerabilities, or that Internet security has become a priority on the
Hill yet. On Thursday, I attended a hearing on private- sector efforts
to address cyberthreats. The hearing, in the House Commerce, Trade and
Consumer Protection Subcommittee, took place at the same time as
separate hearings on bioterrorism and airport security, and it was clear
that Net security was (perhaps naturally), considered the least
important, or the least pressing, of the three.

Witnesses at the hearing included Howard Schmidt, the chief security
officer for Microsoft; Mary Ann Davidson, director of security-product
management at Oracle, Dave McCurdy, a former member of Congress and
president of the Electronic Industries Alliance; and a host of execs
from companies specializing in security.

Members of the subcommittee focused on the fact that the perpetrators of
the Sept. 11 attacks used the Internet as a means of communication, and
on the possibility of digital identity theft.

The witnesses, however, turned the focus of the hearing onto the
weaknesses of the Internet and other digital networks, which run on a
plethora of layered protocols, many of which have inherent security
weaknesses.

For common sense (as it appears to anyone who follows computer- security
issues closely, which I do), you had to turn to Oracle's Davidson, who
(rather too) gently upbraided the government and other large purchasers
of digital infrastructure for not demanding secure server, desktop and
communications products.

"Consumers of information technology need to be discriminating,"
Davidson said. "They must make security a security a purchasing criteria
and hold vendors accountable through independent proof of information
assurance, such as formal security evaluations. "They must create a
'culture of security' within their own organizations, so that security
is not diminished by the 'weakest link' of a careless or unknowing
employee."

Hear, hear.

For my money, the legislators should have been grilling Schmidt, as the
top security man for Microsoft, whose products have done more to make
networks insecure than any other company. I spend a lot of time talking
to security experts, and, almost invariably, they cite Microsoft
products as the weakest link in the security chain. Many of the worst
virus and denial-of- service attacks have been practically invited by
Microsoft, through boneheaded design decisions like activating Windows
Scripting Host by default on millions of machine.

This is not to belittle Schmidt, who seems like a serious security
expert with gold-plated credentials. He's worked with the U.S. Air
Force, the FBI and a host of private-public security associations, and
was called up for active duty after Sept. 11 to work with the Department
of Justice and the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center. He's
earned my respect, and I won't say a word against him.

But for too long, computer security was entrusted, first to dumb luck
and obscurity of network weaknesses, then to loose information sharing
of the sort pioneered by the public-private CERT center at
Carnegie-Mellon university. Thousands of system administrators and
coders have worked hard to keep software patched and hardware configured
to prevent breaches. But the time has come to demand high, and
independently attested, to use Davidson's term, security standards in
purchasing software.

Schmidt was careful in his testimony to cite non-Windows security
breaches, such as the Trinoo attacks on Solaris and the Ramen and Lion
worms on Linux. It's hard to avoid the fact, however, that, through
market share alone, Windows is the first line of defense at the desktop
and server levels.

"These attacks did not occur because the extremely innovative engineers
creating the underlying codes disregarded security," Schmidt said, and
that's largely true. They occurred because Microsoft marketing types,
answering what they almost invariably claim is a wave of demand from
consumers, bypass knowledgeable coders and include insecure features in
software. They also occur because large purchasers (and the government
is the largest), have to date had insufficient, contradictory and
incoherent demands when it came to security standards.

It's ironic that the government, which has been suing Microsoft on
antitrust grounds for years, has at the same time blithely been buying
insecure Microsoft products.

I don't want to continue to berate Microsoft for its past sins, however;
there are signs that the company is starting to get it when it comes to
security implementation Its newer products are much more secure than its
wont and its vulnerability-reporting and patching process, although
still quite closed, is improving. There are also signs that the
government is waking up to its responsibility to demand secure products.

Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.), who I don't usually think of as one of the
most tech-savvy legislators on the Hill, made a telling statement about
the relationship of security to the tech industries. It's a statement
I've heard echoed by many security firms, both before and after Sept.
11.

"Done right, there should be a value-added aspect of controlling your
own databases and having security on your systems," Shimkus said.

In other words, security adds value to systems and the companies that
operate over them. It also is a growing value-added product-and-service
arena throughout the communications and computing industries.

Public-private partnerships are spreading, and are needed, such as the
Information Technology Information Sharing and Analysis Center and CERT.
The government is also moving to strengthen laws against computer
intrusion. In the latter regard, it may be moving TOO far; the recent
antiterrorism bill makes all garden-variety computer hacking acts of
terrorism.

Davidson added another note of sanity to the discussion when she pointed
out that 95 percent of hackers are either ethical, or relatively
harmless. In our rush to pass new laws, we shouldn't equate them with
the 5 percent that are genuinely dangerous. It was clear that few of the
legislators understood the history of hacking, which arose among the
same coders and engineers who gave us computers and the Internet. Such
ethical hacking, has, true, given way partly to script kiddies and
genuinely bad actors, among whom terrorists will turn out to be the
worst. Our law should still make an effort to distinguish the intent of
a "hacker" (using the old sense of the word), rather than painting all
inquisitive network users as terrorists. Not every port scan is a
terrorist attack.

The threat of genuine cyberterrorism is very real, however. It's good to
see the government waking up to that possibility. I just hope
legislators don't submit to the perpetual temptation to pass new,
excessive laws before they learn the subject well enough to craft them
properly.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.