[iwar] [fc:Bush.Signs.Spending.Bill.With.Cyber-Security.Funding.($10M.of.$41B)]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-29 17:24:02

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:24:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Bush.Signs.Spending.Bill.With.Cyber-Security.Funding.($10M.of.$41B)]

Bush Signs Spending Bill With Cyber-Security Funding
By Brian Krebs, Newsbytes, 11/29/2001

President George W. Bush on Wednesday signed into law the Commerce,
State, Justice appropriations bill, a 2002 spending package that
contains significant funding for a range of cyber-security and online
crime-fighting programs.
"At this critical time, when we are mounting a world-wide effort to
defeat terrorism, I appreciate that this bill provides significant new
funding for our federal law-enforcement agencies in the Department of
Justice, our diplomatic operations overseas, and for enhanced embassy
security," the president said in a statement.
The $41.6 billion appropriations measure includes funding for programs
to fight cyber-crime, child pornography, and intellectual property
theft. The package also includes money for technology research programs.
The bill directs U.S. attorneys to provide a total of $10 million for
cyber-crime and enforcement against intellectual property violations,
such as software piracy.
It also includes a dramatic boost in funding for the Commerce
Department's Advanced Technology Program, which provides support for
moving experimental technologies from the laboratory into the
marketplace.
The Bush administration had promised to cease funding for the $200
million program, but the conference bill includes $184.5 million for the
program, rather than the $13 million proposed in the House bill and
$204.2 million offered in the Senate bill. In fact, the technology
program will enjoy even more funding than last year, due to a carryover
of $33 million from fiscal year 2000, which brings the total available
2002 funding for the Advanced Technology Program to $218 million.
The bill provides roughly $55 million to fund several Justice Department
programs at their current funding levels, including $1.5 million for the
Center for Rural Law Enforcement Technology, which includes funding for
facial recognition devices and DNA research.
The bill also funds several other Justice programs, including $9.2
million worth of computer equipment, forensic research and an instant
background check system for the White Collar Crime Information Center.
It also earmarks $6.5 million for the Internet Crimes Against Children
Task Force, a Justice Department program designed to beef up law
enforcement investigations into child pornography.
The spending package also includes $22.9 million for the Missing
Children Program, $2.3 million of which will fund the CyberTipline and
Exploited Child Unit.
Newsbytes' Washington Bureau Chief Robert MacMillan contributed to this
report.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.