[iwar] [fc:American.In.Taliban.Says.Biological.Strike.On.U.S..Near]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-12-12 08:21:41

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:21:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:American.In.Taliban.Says.Biological.Strike.On.U.S..Near]

Washington Times
December 12, 2001
American In Taliban Says Biological Strike On U.S. Near
By Bill Gertz, The Washington Times
An American Taliban fighter held captive by Marines in Afghanistan has told
American officials that al Qaeda's next attack on the United States will
take place in days and involve biological weapons, U.S. intelligence
officials told The Washington Times.
John Walker Lindh, the Taliban guerrilla captured near Mazar-e-Sharif, said
in intelligence debriefings at the U.S. Marine Corps base near Kandahar that
"Phase II" of al Qaeda's war against the United States will occur at the end
of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which ends Sunday.
Mr. Lindh told U.S. intelligence officials that the Ramadan attack will
involve the use of biological weapons.
A third phase of al Qaeda's war on the United States will result in the
destruction of the entire country, the Islamic convert stated.
The officials said they have questioned the credibility of Mr. Lindh's claim
because of his relatively low-level position.
Still, the information was among other intelligence reports that led the
Bush administration to issue a public warning last week about a possible
terrorist attack, the officials said.
No other details were available about Mr. Lindh's debriefing. However, the
intelligence about the impending attack is an indication Mr. Lindh may have
been part of the al Qaeda network in addition to fighting on behalf of the
Taliban militia.
A CIA spokesman declined to comment.
Gen. Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on Sunday
that Mr. Lindh was providing information.
"He's been pretty close to the action, and he has provided from the Afghan
perspective some useful information," Gen. Myers said on "Fox News Sunday."
"I think the evidence is pretty strong that he was right in the middle of
it."
Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz told reporters the American had
provided information that has been "very helpful" to the United States,
including information on the prisoner uprising at Mazar-e-Sharif that led to
the death of CIA officer Johnny "Mike" Spann.
"Obviously the people who really have the information that we really want to
get are those top al Qaeda leaders and maybe some of the Taliban leaders and
maybe we'll find it in documents in places we are now able to get into," Mr.
Wolfowitz said Sunday.
"But I think anyone who knows anything about that organization is a
potentially valuable source of information."
The Pentagon has not decided how to handle Mr. Lindh and whether he will be
charged with treason.
The U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla., said in a statement that Mr. Lindh
was being treated as an enemy prisoner of war.
Mr. Lindh, 20, was videotaped as he was interrogated by the CIA officer
hours before his death at the hands of rebelling Taliban and al Qaeda
prisoners at a fortress near Mazar-e-Sharif. He initially gave his name as
Abdul Hamid.
The Marines are using a large green metal shipping container to hold Mr.
Lindh at their base in southern Afghanistan, according to pool reports from
the base.
Marine Corps spokesman Capt. Stewart Upton said he had no information about
Mr. Lindh being held in the container, which is surrounded by barbed wire
and Marine guards.
A second Marine spokesman, Capt. David Romley, said later that the only
detainee at the camp was Mr. Lindh.
At the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told reporters that
valuable intelligence is being collected as U.S. and Afghan opposition
forces take over areas once ruled by the Taliban.
"There's documentation being found and discovered and analyzed and
translated, so that each day we learn more and know more," Mr. Rumsfeld
said. "As more address books are found and phone books are found and
computer hard drives are found as people have left areas, clearly our
knowledge base is going up."

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!