[iwar] [fc:Information.Operations.-.New.course.explores.using.information.as.a.weapon]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-04 18:56:03

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 18:56:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Information.Operations.-.New.course.explores.using.information.as.a.weapon]

Information Operations - New course explores using information as a weapon

By Maj. Robert Foley, Futures Design and Integration Center, 1/4/2002

Ray Hollis, of the Land Information Warfare Agency and a National Guard
officer, delivers a course of action decision brief to Lt. Col. Kirk
Bayless and other Army Reservists, Guard officers and active duty
soldiers during information operations training Dec. 20 at Bell Hall.
The training increases the Army's capability to conduct information
warfare in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Lamp photo Prudence
Siebert

Recent events both in America and abroad have shown that the nature of
warfare is changing. Information has become both a weapon and
battlefield. The Army has developed a new Functional Area - Information
Operations - to train soldier to fight and win on this new battlefield.
The TRADOC Commander saw a need to increase the Army's IO capability and
directed that IO courses be set up immediately to support the ongoing
military operations.
At Fort Leavenworth, 12 soldiers completed training Dec. 21. More groups
are scheduled to train later in the winter and summer.
During the training, soldiers completed workshops on subjects such as
electronic warfare and psychological operations, conducted information
operations planning and worked with classmates as a staff group.
A course curriculum designed by the Combined Arms Center in conjunction
with Electronic Warfare Associates of Virginia enabled soldiers to train
on all aspects of information operations. The course was modified to
enable soldiers to be trained in a short period of time so they can
quickly return to their units.

"The central point of the course is to teach a core of officers the
skills necessary to synchronize the existing resources of the Army,"
said EWA principal analyst Frederick Hellwig.
"IO is necessary because our country is facing an asymmetric threat,"
said Hellwig. "Our Army faces nation-states and non-state entities, such
as terrorists and criminal organizations, which avoid our strengths and
try to exploit what (they) perceive to be our weaknesses. What IO
officers do is synchronize, coordinate and integrate the Army's IO
capabilities that have existed for years. In the past, many of these
activities were not as effective because they were not coordinated with
critical operations."
Soldiers in the IO branch include active-duty, National Guard and
Reserve lieutenant colonels and majors.
This new era of information has led to a new way of thinking in the
Army.
"If we are to win on today's battlefield, we need to replace the
attrition warfare mentality with a decision maker targeting approach. If
we can influence, slow down, or even stop what the other side is trying
to do, we will gain a decisive advantage over our opponent," concluded
Hellwig.
The new IO field manual, Field Manual 3-13, is in the final stages of
approval. The manual is expected to be released in the near future. The
manual will be available online with other Army reference material.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM