[iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 01/07/02 (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-07 16:58:52

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:58:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 01/07/02 (fwd)

[FC - I like to periodically remind our readers that I edit this to
include only things I find interesting and relevant to the forum...]

January 7, 2002

Federal judge allows keyboard-stroke capture A federal judge in New
Jersey rejected a defense motion last week to suppress computer evidence
gained in an FBI case against an accused Mafia loan shark, possibly
clearing a path for the government to use secretly installed keystroke
logging tools to defeat encryption.  FBI agents acting with a warrant in
May 1999 installed a keystroke logging device on the computer of
Nicodemo S.  Scarfo Jr., hoping to record a password for a file
encrypted with PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) software.
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/01/07/fbi.surveillance.idg/index.html

Courts frown on online bad-mouthing Employers are winning key legal
victories against former workers who criticize them online.  Rulings in
the waning days of 2001 could have a chilling effect on workers' use of
cyberspace for years to come, civil libertarians say.  The battle over
Internet free speech also is heating up as more firms crack down on
grousing by laid-off staff.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/01/07/online-bad-mouthing.htm

Virus Writers Here to 'Help' Although it may seem trite to fret about
computer virus attacks when compared with larger global security
concerns, a seemingly endless onslaught of virtual vermin plagued
computer users in 2001.  "In 1999, we were catching one virus per hour,"
said Alex Shipp, chief technology officer at Messagelabs, a security
firm.  "In 2000, it was one every three minutes and now in 2001 it is
one every 30 seconds, and rising." Other antiviral companies have
reported similar statistics.
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,49483,00.html

Report: Cyberspace ripe for terrorist attacks An obscure report issued
Dec.  21 by the Canadian Office of Critical Infrastructure Protection
and Emergency Services raises the specter of a possible future
cyberattack by agents or sympathizers of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda
terrorist organization.  The Canadian threat analysis of al-Qaeda's
cybercapabilities concludes that, although there have been no examples
to date of cyberterrorist attacks conducted by al-Qaeda, "Bin Laden's
vast financial resources, however, would enable him or his organization
to purchase the equipment and expertise required for a cyberattack and
mount such an attack in very short order."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cw1.htm

Microsoft Breaks Netscape Rule In New Security Flaw The failure of
Microsoft to abide by a well-known browser security rule has resulted in
a "severe" flaw in the company's Internet Explorer browser, according to
security experts.  The security bug, which affects all current versions
of Internet Explorer for Windows, including IE 5.5 and IE 6, provides
attackers with a grab-bag of techniques for stealing other users'
browser cookies, reading some files on their hard disks, and "spoofing"
the content of legitimate sites, according to ThePull, an independent
security researcher who discovered the vulnerability.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173439.html

DOD bills bolster anti-terrorism spending
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/0107/news-dod-01-07-02.asp

Lawmaker promises changes to Online Copyright law A U.S.  congressman
said on Monday he intended to change a controversial copyright law to
allow consumers to override technologies that prevent them from making
digital copies of music, movies, and software.  Virginia Democratic Rep.
Rick Boucher said he planned to introduce a bill that would eliminate
the ``anti-circumvention'' clause of the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act (DMCA), a 1998 law that updated Copyright laws for the digital era.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/reuters_wire/1724684l.htm

Lawmaker Questions CD-Copying Protections
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173429.html Napster head calls on
Congress for help
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/reuters_wire/1724977l.htm

Rumsfeld names CEO to be spectrum protector Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld deems an area of radio frequency bands used by the Defense
Department as so crucial that he has hired a telecommunications industry
executive to focus on protecting that electromagnetic spectrum.
Rumsfeld has named Steven Price, former president and chief executive
officer of LiveWire, as a deputy assistant secretary of Defense for
spectrum and command, control and communications policy.
http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/17728-1.html

U.S.  considers encoding data on driver's licenses The government is
taking its first steps with the states to develop driver's licenses that
can electronically store information =97 such as fingerprints =97 for
the 184 million Americans who carry the cards.  Privacy experts fear the
effort may lead to de facto national identification cards that would
allow authorities to track citizens electronically, circumventing the
intense debate over federal ID cards.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/01/07/drivers-licenses.htm

Are you encouraging hackers to attack your network? Don't ask, don't
tell I learned about this policy change a month ago.  I was reporting on
a new security software release and needed to verify that a government
agency was, in fact, using the product.  The vendor was anxious to get
this information to me, but its public relations department ran into
stone walls at every agency using the software.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article_guest.jhtml?id=3Dr00220000105eje02.htm

Spyware: Is using it illegal or just sleazy? "Will I go to jail?" That's
not normally a question a technology columnist needs to answer, but when
we are talking about spying on people, it becomes germane.  Since I'm
not a lawyer, I am unable to give specific advice--but I can offer some
generalities.  The question we're considering is: "Will I go to jail if
I put a keystroke logger on someone else's computer?" In case you're
joining us late, you can get up to speed by reading my last two columns,
Part One and Part Two, which describe the technology that allows you to
capture every keystroke on a victim/user's computer.
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2836365,00.html

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!