[iwar] [fc:ARAFAT.EXPOSED.-.The.evidence.is.nowclose.to.overwhelming...]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-09 18:17:14

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:17:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:ARAFAT.EXPOSED.-.The.evidence.is.nowclose.to.overwhelming...]

ARAFAT EXPOSED
By MICHAEL KELLY
NY Post
January 9, 2002 -- AT 4:45 a.m. on Jan. 3, the 4,000-ton freighter
Karine A was cruising in the Red Sea less than 300 miles from Israel.
The Karine A's captain, Omar Akawi, an officer in Yasser Arafat's
Palestinian Authority miniature navy, was asleep in his bunk, as was
most of the 13-man crew. He heard a noise, he later told Israeli
interrogators, and woke up to find himself staring at armed commandos
of the Israeli navy.
In the holds of the Karine A the Israelis discovered more than 50 tons
of military arms, including long-range Katyusha rockets, high
explosives, antitank missiles, mortars, sniper rifles and mines. All
of this - reportedly between $10 million and $15 million of materiel -
was packed in 83 crates sealed in watertight plastic, ready for
offloading in coastal waters.
The Israeli government claimed to have "unequivocal, clear and
undeniable" proof that the Palestinian Authority was responsible for
the smuggling. PA officials denied any involvement and suggested that
the shipment had been intended for the Lebanese terrorist force
Hezbollah.
The evidence is nowclose to overwhelming that the Karine A mission was
financed and organized at the highest levels of the Palestinian
Authority, most likely sanctioned by Arafat himself - and that Arafat
allowed the mission to proceed after he called for a cessation of all
armed actions against Israel on Dec. 16.
* As the PA has confirmed, Capt. Akawi is an officer in the tiny fleet
of coastal patrol boats the PA calls its navy. In jailhouse interviews
arranged on Monday with Western news agencies, Akawi identified
himself as "a Palestine officer of the Authority," adding "I am taking
my salary and [am an] employee of the Palestinian Authority."
He said he had been a member of Arafat's own group Fatah since 1976,
and that "Abu Amar [Arafat's nom de guerre] is my president and my
commander and chief."
He said he was acting directly on the orders of the Authority: "I'm a
soldier. I have to obey my orders." He said he expected to be ordered
to stop the mission after Arafat called for a truce, but the order
never came.
* Akawi further said that the operation was organized and supervised
by senior PA official Adel Awadallah (a.k.a. Adel Mughrabi) who is
based in Greece. He said Awadallah had arranged the purchase of the
Karine A for $400,000, and that Awadallah had personally given him his
initial orders.
* Akawi said subsequent control of the mission was in the hands of
Fathi El-Razem, who is known by the nickname Fathi El-Bahriyeh (The
Navy) because he is the deputy commander of the PA navy: "I took my
orders from Fathi El-Bahriyeh," said Akawi. "He took his orders from
Adel Awadallah." The Montreal Gazette reported yesterday that
El-Razem, "who has been Arafat's chief weapons smuggler since the
1970s," was captured with Akawi aboard the Karine A.
* Akawi affirmed that the munitions were headed for Gaza, and for the
PA, not for Lebanon and Hezbollah: "I knew that the weapons were
intended for the Gaza Strip," he said. The plan had been to transfer
the crates to three smaller boats at a location near the Egyptian port
of Alexandria; the small boats would carry the arms to a spot off the
Gaza coast or just south of it, off the Sinai, where they would be
picked up by Palestinian navy officers disguised as fishermen.
Akawi said he thought Arafat himself did not know of the mission. This
seems more of a politic statement than a heartfelt one, given the
amount of money involved and that the men who commanded Akawi answered
directly to Arafat.
Not surprisingly, Arafat supports the rogue operation theory. He
reportedly tried to sell it to U.S. envoy Anthony Zinni that the whole
thing was a renegade affair, not under his control. The Jerusalem Post
said Zinni was "very unconvinced." Yes.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!