[iwar] [fc:States.seek.voice.in.setting.cybersecurity.strategy]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-11 21:55:13

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:55:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:States.seek.voice.in.setting.cybersecurity.strategy]

States seek voice in setting cybersecurity strategy
By Liza Porteus, National Journal's Technology Daily, 1/11/2002

Several state groups are asking Richard Clarke, the nation's
cyber-security adviser, to ensure that federal efforts to protect the
nation's computer systems are in line with state and local efforts.

The National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO)
and the National Governors' Association (NGA) are asking for a meeting
with Clarke to make sure groups at all levels are coordinating efforts
to improve information-gathering systems and increase cybersecurity.
NASCIO sent a letter to Clarke on Dec. 21, and NGA plans to send one to
him this week.

The two groups have been working on a clearinghouse that would allow
state governments to confidentially report security breaches and share
tips on the best security practices. But Thom Rubel, NGA's program
director for state information technology, said, "We're not anxious to
be taking off with initiating something with the states" before
discussions with Clarke.
In November, NASCIO members met with Paul Kurtz, the director of
critical infrastructure for the White House Office of Homeland Security,
and other officials. Such meetings and the more recent letter to Clarke
"really make the point we feel the states and the state CIOs are an
obvious and important partner to the federal government and its homeland
security efforts," said NASCIO Assistant Director Matthew Trail.

In its letter, NASCIO suggests that Clarke and Homeland Security
Director Tom Ridge appoint a NASCIO representative to the Critical
Infrastructure Protection Board to serve as a liaison between state and
federal officials. The board coordinates the protection of government
and private-sector cyber assets. NASCIO noted its involvement on the
Federal CIO Council as an example of how state CIO input is invaluable
to governments at all levels.
"We think we have a role here," said NASCIO President and Connecticut
CIO Rock Regan. "The fact that CIOs manage vast infrastructures across
our states when it comes to critical infrastructure protection and
security, we're only as strong as our weakest link in the chain. We're
eager to assist and be at the table and make sure our voice is heard."

Trail said NASCIO will follow up with Clarke's office in the next week
or so.
Clarke and Ridge have stressed the importance of state and local
involvement in security decision-making. "We don't see any reason to
doubt that," Trail said, "but ultimately, of course, it's going to be
deeds that speak loudly."
Also on Tuesday, NASCIO announced that West Virginia's chief technology
officer, Keith Comstock, has been named the new NASCIO liaison to the
Federal CIO Council. Comstock will replace former New Jersey CIO Wendy
Rayner, who retired in December.

NASCIO has been working with the council and Mark Forman, associate
director for information technology and e-government at the White House
Office of Management and Budget, to prioritize new e-government
initiatives and encourage state involvement.
The Commerce Department's Critical Information Assurance Office,
meanwhile, will begin a series of outreach efforts to states in
Feburary.

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pCuuSA/WdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM