[iwar] [fc:FBI:.Al.Qaeda.may.have.probed.government.sites]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-18 15:30:40

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:30:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:FBI:.Al.Qaeda.may.have.probed.government.sites]

FBI: Al Qaeda may have probed government sites

CNN, 1/18/2002

The FBI issued an alert Wednesday to law enforcement agencies across the
nation warning officials of uncorroborated information that al Qaeda
agents may have been probing Web sites, including some dealing with
nuclear information.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Richard Meserve disclosed the
existence of the advisory in a speech to the National Press Club
Thursday. He said the operatives may have been trying to "gain
information" on a variety of different types of facilities, including
nuclear power plants. A FBI spokeswoman would only say the bureau did
put out an advisory but would not characterize it.
A law enforcement official emphasized the information obtained was
uncorroborated and that the alert was issued so authorities would think
about "what they put on Web sites."
"This is sort of information that we pass along to our licensees, in
case of threat advisories to inform them that this sort of thing is
going on," Meserve said. He said the NRC brought down its Web site
immediately after the September 11 attacks in case it contained
information that "might be of value to terrorists" and that it has been
re-tooling its site to make it doesn't inadvertently release information
terrorists might want.
"Our licensees have done the same thing in that most of them have
screened the Web sites to assure that there is not information that is
on the Web site that could be of significant use to a terrorist under
attack. But we have this information, it is uncorroborated information,
at least in the advisory that it existed last night, and it is the sort
of thing you do inform our licensees about through a threat advisory
system," Meserve said.
A law enforcement official compared this advisory to the general alerts
issued saying they all have the same message to be aware and vigilant.

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
When building an e-commerce site, you want to start with a
secure foundation. Learn how with VeriSign's FREE Guide.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/oCuuSA/XdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM