RE: [iwar] [fc:FBI.Raid.Silences.Teen.Anarchist's.Site]

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2002-02-01 06:38:45

To: "'iwar@yahoogroups.com'" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:38:45 -0600
Subject: RE: [iwar] [fc:FBI.Raid.Silences.Teen.Anarchist's.Site]

I cannot disagree with your thought, Fred.  Historically, many sites have
proffered the Anarchist's message in the past and received little if any
attention from the authorities.  That the events of last September have
sensitized these same authorities to the point of near over-reaction seems
rather obvious in this event.  Still, even the smart Anarchist picks his
battles.

I remain unconvinced that, at least in the West, many people (even in these
underground circles) regard martyrdom as noble.  Frequently, they think it
foolish and unnecessary.  I thought I noticed in Austin's comments a bit of
the martyr's drumbeat.  Such rhetoric is tiresome, and I think in his case
purely self-serving, with no nobility or altruism whatever.  Given that, he
has no credibility whatever, and denigrates the cause he claims.

To many he will sound too much like those others crying "Death to America"
elsewhere in the world, and thus be written off as misguided, disloyal,
un-American, etc.  Such people have no sympathetic audience here these days,
and this young man will not be the one who changes that.

Ross A. Leo, CISSP, CBCP