[iwar] [fc:Deanonymizing.SafeWeb.Users]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-02-14 22:15:12

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:15:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Deanonymizing.SafeWeb.Users]

	In light of this post by Martin &amp; Schulman on attacks against
SafeWeb/PrivaSec, we thought we would release just a few examples of my
own internal research to support their views on JavaScript and anonymous
proxy systems over the last years.  We have found that these attacks are
not limited to SafeWeb.  A rewrite engine alone will not cover every
possible manipulation of JavaScript.
	Some attacks to support the Martin &amp; Schulman paper include but
are not limited to:

	Embedding JavaScript in VBScript using the execscript command
(SafeWeb/PrivaSec &amp; SiegeSoft)
	http://www.anonymizer.com/proxy_tests/vbscript2.html

	Missing uncommon functions such as document.replace (SiegeSoft)
	http://www.anonymizer.com/proxy_tests/siege_soft1.html

	Not recognizing the reset of form locations (SiegeSoft)
	http://www.anonymizer.com/proxy_tests/siege_soft2.html

	You can also use the SafeWeb/PrivaSec functions against themselves
	due to a scoping flaw
	http://www.anonymizer.com/proxy_tests/sw_test_2.html

	There are many more possibilities due to JavaScripts functionality
as a language.  Allowing JavaScript through a privacy protection system is
a non-trivial task.

	Allowing JavaScript in general can be extremely dangerous.  An
individual only needs to look at the BugTraq postings over the last month
by The Pull and many others to see its inherent dangers.  By allowing
JavaScript you are allowing other parties to execute their programs on
your computer and placing full faith in them not to write anything
harmful.
	Current Proxy systems that allow JavaScript and other scripting
languages can not prevent all instances of these attacks.  For instance,
SafeWeb does not stop The Pull's file reading exploit.  A proxy system can
help to reduce these attacks but would not be able to give a 100%
guarantee since they would be re-actionary to problems in browser software
developed by other vendors.
	Anonymizer has always taken the approach not to release
functionality until it has been sufficiently developed and proven
reliable.  It is this approach that prevented us from releasing an unsafe
version of JavaScript functionality just to be the first one there.
Anonymizer is in fact now completing development of a solution for
allowing JavaScript while safely mitigating these risks through our proxy
and will be releasing a public beta in Spring 2002.
	Note: The term "Anonymizer" is a trusted brand name and registered
trademark of Anonymizer Inc.  The term "Anonymizer" and similar words
(such as anonymize or anonymizing) should not be used as generic
descriptive terms for Web privacy technology.

Peleus Uhley
Senior Developer
Anonymizer Inc.

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pCuuSA/WdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM