[iwar] [fc:Fatalities.Removed.From.Statistics.-.Army,.Air.Force.count.losses.differently]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-03-04 07:09:41

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 07:09:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Fatalities.Removed.From.Statistics.-.Army,.Air.Force.count.losses.differently]

Dayton Daily News
March 3, 2002
Fatalities Removed From Statistics - Army, Air Force count losses differently
By Russell Carollo, Dayton Daily News
Darke County man and another Air Force pararescue jumper, among 10 military
personnel killed in an Army helicopter crash in the Philippines last month,
are no longer included in the Army's aviation fatality statistics.
Air Force Master Sgt. William "Bub" McDaniel II of Darke County was killed
in the crash along with Sgt. Juan M. Ridout. Both were from the Air Force's
320th Special Tactics Squadron at Kadena Air Base, Japan.
Sometime last week, the Army changed the aviation fatality numbers on its
Web site from 14 to 12. With that change came a drop in the increase in
fatalities for this fiscal year, from 133 percent to 100 percent. There were
six Army aviation fatalities reported by this time last year and just two
the year before.
"I can confirm that the two Air Force personnel were removed," Army
spokeswoman Martha Rudd said Thursday.
They are among at least 20 military personnel killed on Army aircraft during
the past year who were not counted by any service as aviation fatalities,
according to the Air Force.
All were members of the Air Force or Air National Guard. The Air Force,
which is also responsible for keeping statistics on Air National Guard
crashes, didn't count them either.
According to the Air Force, the two services disagree over interpretation of
a Department of Defense regulation on how to count aviation fatalities when
the dead are from other services.
"Now if it had been an Air Force helicopter and it crashed and everybody
died, they would be (counted by the Air Force) as flight fatals," said Maj.
David Hoff, an Air Force spokesman at the Pentagon.
The Air Force says it counts everyone killed on its aircraft. Among the nine
fatalities counted by the Air Force last year were two civilians and an
Italian pilot. The Army did not respond to numerous phone calls and e-mails
for additional comment, but the Air Force says it has been at odds with the
Army over how to count fatalities since at least March 3, 2001, when 21
guardsmen were killed in Georgia in the crash of an Army C-23 transport
plane.
"Let's just say there was another Army accident in which there was creative
accounting," Hoff said.
On March 3, 2001, an Army National Guard C-23 Sherpa transport crashed near
Unadilla, Ga., killing 21- three members of the Army National Guard and 18
members of the Virginia Air National Guard.
On Friday, the Army's official aviation safety Web site showed 11 aviation
fatalities during fiscal year 2001, nearly triple the number from the
previous year even without counting all aboard the C-23. If the 18 Air Guard
members had been counted, the Army's totals for the year would have listed
29 fatalities - an increase of 25 from the previous year. The Air Force Web
site showed nine aviation fatalities for the same period.
The Air Force, Hoff said, assumed the Army had counted the 18 dead Virginia
Air Guard members.
"We assumed that," Hoff said. "That's correct, only because that's how we
would count them. We were applying our interpretation to how we thought the
Army would do it."
The Department of Defense instruction, which Hoff says the two services are
interpreting differently, is two sentences long:
"For joint services accidents, the involved DOD components will
determine/allocate costs and losses according to asset ownership and
personnel assignment. Each DOD component will report their own losses
attributable to a joint service accident."
Hoff said the Air Force didn't believe it should have to record the
fatalities in its numbers.
"Our position was, it's not an Air Force flight mishap," he said. "How can
we be held accountable for a flight mishap fatal that was not a flight
mishap attributable to us?"
Hoff wasn't sure if there was any effort underway to clear up the
misunderstanding.
"It's a real hot topic here," he said.