[iwar] [fc:Power.industry.guarding.against.peering.eyes.of.potential.terrorists]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-03-04 07:31:28

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 07:31:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Power.industry.guarding.against.peering.eyes.of.potential.terrorists]

Power industry guarding against peering eyes of potential terrorists

AP, 3/3/02

The U.S. power industry has been targeted by increasing computer
surveillance from the Middle East and there have been reports of people
spying on power plants, experts warned at a security conference this
week.

``We think the threat of another attack is there, and terrorists will
target power sources,'' said Stephen Whitley, chief operating officer
for ISO New England, which controls New England's power grid. ``Everyone
is thinking of security differently now. And one of the most important
things we need to do is make sure information is being shared.''

But that information, particularly about power sources, must be kept
secret, Whitley told the power producers, distributors and regulators
who met Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss ways to protect the Northeast's
power supply.

Computer system surveillance from the Middle East is increasing and U.S.
targets include power systems, said James Fortune, a program manager at
the Electric Power Research Institute in Palo Alto, Calif.

The government also has received reports of people spying on electric
installations, said Harvey Blumenthal, a CIA official with the federal
National Infrastructure Protection Center.

While most of those reports haven't been credible, others have shown
that people are trying to gather information about the facilities, he
said.

Industry officials would not give details of any incidents of possible
terrorists snooping around for information at a power plant or on the
Internet. But they did say preventive measures have been taken.

Immediately following the Sept. 11 attacks, power plants and
distributors took quick steps to increase security and guarantee energy
production. More guards were placed at power generators, and routine
maintenance work at power plants was stopped so facilities could operate
at full potential.

Companies and regulators responsible for the region's power supply say
internal changes are still needed.

``We've stepped up surveillance of our substations and we've been
developing a security plan for the company,'' said Ian Wilson, a
spokesman for Public Service of New Hampshire. ``But now it's time to
improve communication within our system and with other companies and
government agencies.''

James Kallstrom, New York's director of public security and the state's
former FBI chief, said the improved security at power plants won't
matter much if more isn't done to prevent terrorists from entering the
country.

``We have basically a wide-open society that terrorists have taken
advantage of,'' he said.

On the Net:

ISOs: http://www.iso-ne.com and http://www.nyiso.com

Energy Information Administration: http://eia.doe.gov