[iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 04/17/02 (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-04-17 18:33:30

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 04/17/02 (fwd)

Middle East conflict spills over into cyberspace
The political crisis in the Middle East has spawned
an increase in defacement attacks on Israeli Web
servers. Israel was the victim of 10 of 15
significant web defacements in the Middle East
over the last two weeks, according to security
consultancy mi2g. The most active anti-Israel
hacker group, which claims to be Egyptian, started
its activities just weeks after 11th September.
Other Middle Eastern countries - Saudi Arabia,
Egypt and Jordan - have also been hit in April
by politically motivated hack attacks, many
international in origin.

Sen. Wyden Intros Version Of House Cybersecurity Bill
Senator Ron Wyden, D-Ore., today introduced a Senate
version of a cybersecurity measure approved earlier
this year by the House of Representatives. "In
addition to the damage that cyber-attacks could
cause directly, the mere threat of security breaches
can cripple the ongoing development of e-commerce, "
Wyden said in a press release. "If the Internet is
to reach its full potential, security must be
improved."
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175951.html

Hidden bedroom cameras inspire video privacy bill
Hidden video cameras in bedrooms, bathrooms and
other private places would be outlawed under a bill
introduced in Congress Tuesday that would also
limit pornographic Web sites to an online red-light
district. Television star Angie Harmon and privacy
activist Susan Wilson joined Louisiana Democratic
Sen. Mary Landrieu to announce a bill that would
make it illegal to film someone for a ``lewd or
lascivious purpose'' without that person's consent.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/editorial/3077573.htm
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175948.html
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/04/17/surveillance.reut/index.html

More States Loosening Wiretap Restrictions - Study
Proposed changes to state wiretap laws triggered
by the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 would give
states added surveillance power that could erode
civil liberties, said a review of state-level
legislation released today. The review, conducted
by a Washington-based non-profit that tracks legal
and constitutional issues, examined how states
approve and implement wiretaps. The Constitution
Project seeks to determine whether laws compromise
individual liberties.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175952.html

IBM drops patent bombshell
Tech Update: A recent IBM patent claim could
threaten royalty-free access to a key Internet
standard protocol backed by the United Nations.
The standard--called ebXML--is an XML-based
set of definitions for electronic transactions
and business collaboration. IBM's patent claim
was made in an intellectual property disclosure
filed in late March with the Organization for
the Advancement of Structured Information
Standards (OASIS).
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-884681.html

Peddling Snake Oil as Security
Wireless security vendors are trying to create
a market where none exists. As always, the key
to better wireless security is better practice,
not new products. Recently, I received an
invitation to speak at a plenary session for
an upcoming conference on wireless security.
While the conference venue was first-rate and
they were covering all my expenses, I had to
be honest with the conference coordinators and
decline the invitation. The reason? If I went
on-stage and delivered my views on wireless
networking and its security implications, the
vendors exhibiting at the event would have
chased me from the dais and lynched me.
http://online.securityfocus.com/columnists/75

HOT! PRICE BREAKTHROUGH!
SUPER Tiny Wireless Video Camera UNDER $80 BUCKS --> ORDER NOW!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/y7toOC/8o6DAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM