[iwar] Cadets Keep NSA Crackers At Bay (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-05-28 08:42:29

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 08:42:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Cadets Keep NSA Crackers At Bay (fwd)
 Cadets Keep NSA Crackers At Bay

By William Jackson, Newsbytes May 20 2002 1:53PM

Cadets and midshipmen from the nation's military service academies faced=
 off last month in real-world cybercombat. They used all their skills to=
 keep production networks up and running while under attack by National=
 Security Agency experts. In the end, the U.S. Military Academy at West=
 Point kept the coveted NSA Information Assurance Director's Trophy it won=
 last year.

The exercise "was a lot harder than talking about it in class," said West=
 Point cadet Chris Gates of Little Rock, Ark. "Until you fail, you don't=
 know how hard."

Wayne Schepens, an NSA visiting fellow, called the exercise "a win across=
 the board from the NSA's perspective."

The second Cyber Defense Exercise was the first in which all the service=
 academies participated.

There was "a phenomenal increase in the skills of the cadets," said Lt.=
 Col. Daniel Ragsdale, assistant professor of computer science at West=
 Point. "They were better prepared and better organized. All the things we=
 taught them about defense in depth and breadth, they implemented."

The exercise bridged the gap between the classroom and the real world,=
 Ragsdale said. "You can only go so far in the classroom," he said. "People=
 get a false sense of security."

West Point's focus on information assurance skills started about three=
 years ago when Col. Andre Sayles, head of the Computer Sciences=
 Department, "had an epiphany" about it as a critical need, Ragsdale said.

This year, 24 seniors at the 200-year-old academy enrolled in the=
 3-year-old information assurance program. "They essentially had to commit=
 to having no free electives to get to this course," Ragsdale said.

Take The Dare
West Point is the first undergraduate school to be designated by NSA as a=
 center for academic excellence for information assurance. And it was West=
 Point that in August 2000 issued the challenge to its sister academies to=
 participate in the cyberexercise, which was held in April of last year.

The only taker last year was the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs,=
 Colo. The Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif., took part but did=
 not compete for the trophy.

This year the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md., and the Coast Guard Academy=
 at New London, Conn., also competed.

"We have a strong interest in information assurance, and the department=
 encouraged us to take part in the exercise," said Maj. Robert Peterman, a=
 computer science instructor at Annapolis.

All the academies have integrated security into their computer science=
 courses. The Naval Academy began offering an information assurance course=
 last spring, and it is now a requirement for a computer science major,=
 department chairman Patrick Harrison said.

The Naval Academy felt it was coming from behind in the exercise-"in=
 start-up mode," Harrison said, whereas West Point has "fully blossomed."

The Coast Guard Academy also saw itself as an underdog. "The Coast Guard is=
 the forgotten armed service," said Herb Holland, an academy instructor. It=
 defends against smugglers and illegal immigrants, and it handles=
 classified information, so security expertise is critical, Holland said.=
 But the academy has no computer science department; computer classes are=
 taught as part of electrical engineering.

"This exercise is a project for students taking the computer communications=
 and networking course," Holland said before the exercise began. "These=
 guys are hyped. Since we don't have a computer science major per se, they=
 may not have as much background. On the other hand, they are engineers and=
 have lots of experience in problem solving. So I think we'll hold our=
 own."

That assessment turned out to be accurate.

The Coast Guard cadets "did a hell of a job providing [network] services"=
 during the contest, Ragsdale said. "They got compromised quite a bit, but=
 they hung in there."

Keeping services running while a network is under attack is key to winning=
 the contest, he said, because "it's only in the context of providing=
 services that the rest of this makes sense."

All the academies set up identical networks with a variety of services=
 running on three subnets protected by a firewall. They all transmitted=
 daily reports about intrusions and responses to the White Team-referees=
 from the CERT Coordinating Center at Pittsburgh's Carnegie Mellon=
 University.

NSA and the Defense Department's Public-Key Infrastructure Program=
 Management Office provided funding for the networks.

VPN Marathon
NSA's Red Team of attackers and the referees on the White Team all used=
 virtual private networks to connect with the academy LANs.

The White Team deducted points for intrusions but awarded points for=
 identifying them and fixing the vulnerabilities, so a network compromise=
 was not always fatal.

"Keeping the services running was surprisingly hard," Schepens said. "We=
 impress on the cadets that a system is worthless if the services aren't=
 running."

The participants had to perform a balancing act. "Keeping it up is really a=
 challenge when fixing one part breaks two more parts," said West Pointer=
 Ian MacLeoud of Philadelphia.

Last year, Ragsdale said, the West Point network was a day late going=
 online and was then penetrated by the Red Team within three hours. The=
 West Pointers' defense plans were immature and static, he said, and the=
 key lesson learned then was that boosting security "makes administration=
 even more difficult."

This year's cadets built on the experience. The attackers "were never able=
 to take the network down at any point," cadet Gates said.

Defenses improved so much, in fact, that next year the exercise might add=
 communications among the academy networks, to give the Red Team more=
 opportunities to break in.

"Each school put in heavy resources," Schepens said. "They were very=
 well-prepared."

But his claim that there were no losers did not comfort West Point's=
 rivals.

"There's only one first place," the Naval Academy's Peterman said.

Ragsdale, however, said he doesn't expect West Point to maintain its lead=
 for long.

"I would be astounded if next year or the year after another school doesn't=
 come to the fore," he said. "Much as I would like to think of it, I don't=
 see any dynasty."

Reported by Government Computer News, http://www.gcn.com

=A9 2001 - 2002 The Washington Post Company

--
This was sent to you from http://theMezz.com

Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile