[iwar] [fc:COMPUTER.SECURITY.SOME.THOUGHTS.ON.STANDARDS.and.TESTING,.FORMAL.METHODS]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-06-20 22:19:26

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:19:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:COMPUTER.SECURITY.SOME.THOUGHTS.ON.STANDARDS.and.TESTING,.FORMAL.METHODS]

Sent by Wanja Eric Naef.
[The article below is from a list member who like to stay anonymous.
Please send any comments about the article to me and I will forward
them to the author. WEN]

By Anonymous, 19. June 2002

COMPUTER SECURITY SOME THOUGHTS ON STANDARDS and TESTING, FORMAL METHODS and WAY FORWARD

Background

1.  When I think of the history of computing and lessons to be learned I
would start with Bletchley Park in World War II.  The task was to break
Enigma and other German enciphering systems.  This could only be done by
designing and using appropriate computer systems (including Colossus).
Security of the operation was paramount.  Physical, personnel and
technical security aspects all had to be addressed and great pains were
taken to ensure that there were no loop holes in this cordon sanitaire.
History records the Bletchley Park operations as an enormous success
with security ‘breaches’ at an absolute minimum.  So why do we have such
enormous difficulties with computer security 60 years later?

2.  There are many reasons.  Some are given below –

a)        We do not provide adequate physical security;
b)        We do not take the rigorous steps needed for adequate
personnel security;
c)        We do not adopt adequate technical security measures;
d)        We do not employ computer systems for one purpose and one
purpose alone.

From the technical security point of view most of our problems arise
because we want to use systems - particularly the Internet - which were
not designed with security in mind.  This is in total contrast to the
Bletchley Park regime.

Recent History

3.  Security problems have been obvious since at least 1970s.  The USA
began to address these problems at that time with Computer Security
Standards (NSA `s Orange Book).  Within a few years the computer world
was moving away from main frame computing to distributed computing.  In
the UK it was realised that the Orange Book standards could not just be
‘read across’.  The ITSEC scheme run jointly by the DTI and CESG was
born.  The cornerstone of ITSEC was that components, devices, software
and firmware should be evaluated against specific security standards
from E1 (lowest level) to E6 (highest level).  Through the 1990s the
ideas behind ITSEC have been increasingly adopted by other countries and
“Common Criteria” has evolved.  This is a significant step with Common
Criteria becoming International Standard 15408 in 1999.

4.  Despite these good efforts problems remain.  These difficulties
arise for many reasons but amongst them are –

a)      Technology ‘churn` - the ever increasing paceof new
developments and products;
b)      Time to test – months sometimes years;
c)      Test limitations – testing will perforce beconducted over a
very limited configuration.

5.  Further, integration issues are not addressed by ITSEC/Common
Criteria (they are not designed to).  This gives rise to the problem
where the unwitting may buy and install an E3 Firewall and believe that
all is well.  Of course, it is not - any more than one padlock can
secure your home.  Even more importantly, organisations of all sorts and
sizes, e.g.  corporations, HMG departments and the Police adopt complex
and largely open systems.

Risks

6.  The risks associated with such systems are addressed by system
security officers and IT staffs but their efforts are often less than
cohesive.  Examples are legion and some bring unwanted publicity to
their organisations.  This is particularly so where even the general
public feel they ought to have known better e.g.  Microsoft and
Barclays.  In these two recent cases “inadequate software testing” was
blamed.

Standards

7.  Standards are useful yardsticks whether specific or procedural.  The
standards called up by ITSEC and Common Criteria are specific but the
rule of “caveat emptor” still applies.  A properly installed E3 Firewall
can help give a fair level of protection but remember that this is an
E3/EAL 4 device not an E6/EAL7 device and testing will not be
exhaustive:- “testing will be supported by an independent search for
obvious vulnerabilities”.

In other words vulnerabilities will remain.  It is only at EAL5 and 6
levels that semi-formal methods are employed in testing.  At EAL 7
extensive formal analysis is employed but generally this can only be
done where designs are (much) less complex.

8.  The procedural standards of ISO17999 provide a template and
guidelines for implementing Infosec holistically.  Much of ISO17999 is
common sense and undemanding of management.  Nonetheless it provides a
framework and basis for good security.  However, even adequate security
will demand a great deal more than doing an ISO17999 check list and
‘ticking the boxes’.

Formal Methods and Proof of Concepts

9.  Formal Methods are often seen as too costly.  However, Formal
Methods are used at EAL5 – EAL7 levels.  At these levels of confidence
security can be seen as an enabler (and thus cost effective) rather than
an expensive overhead.

Formal Methods and Proof of Concepts certainly have a role to play.
Information Flow Analysis can be used to check that actual dependencies
in code match that which was intended.  For example, Praxis Critical
Systems have reported that Proof of Concepts can be more efficient than
any form of testing and that System Validation testing can be more
efficient in finding faults than can individual unit testing (see IEEE
Vol 26 Nr 8 of Aug 2000).

Way Ahead?

10.  Obviously we must, collectively, do better.  Despite the
considerable difficulties I believe we can.  There is no easy blueprint
for success but these are suggested tenets.

a) Adopt appropriate technology.  Look at what is on offer: balance the
advantages of a product or service with its known downsides.  For
example, I use Microsoft Outlook Express because its easy to use; others
will look at its security vulnerabilities and choose a more secure
product.

b) Adopt a systems engineering approach.  The use of Formal Methods and
Proof Concepts can be very cost effective in particular where a high
level of security is needed.

c) Integrate new technology and new products cohesively and carefully.

d) Use products and services you can trust.  ITSEC and CC approved
products can be a good starting point but don`t discount appropriate
offerings from smaller companies who cannot afford cost of such testing.

e) Have your (revised) system tested for functionality and
vulnerabilities.  Use an approved test house and/or approved intruder
detection system.

f) Review these results.  Don`t go live if you have doubts – fix and
re-check.

g) Re-test and review regularly.

h) Empower your IT staff (whether directly employed or not) to take
corrective action if your systems come under attack or encounter new
threats and vulnerabilities.

i) Adopt an holistic approach.  Be sure to adequately address physical
and personnel security aspects.  Regularly review all security related
aspects.

BCS Role [British Computer Society]

11.  The BCS has an important role to play not least because it can
speak to the individual user as well as having influence with key
players.

Education and outreach using existing BCS channels including meetings,
workshops, seminars, literature and www.bcs.org

Encourage enterprises to see security as a (potential) enabler (i.e.  as
cost effective – not an added cost).

Encourage Microsoft and other key players to give due weighting to
security aspects.

Encourage DTI and CESG to bring forward improvements in ITSEC/CC –
making testing more relevant and speeding up EAL1 to EAL 4 testing as a
first step: (Fast Track and Certificate Maintenance initiatives are
insufficient).

Work with other bodies to seek ways to evaluate security products from
smaller manufacturers who cannot afford ITSEC/CC testing.

Work effectively with other organisations to achieve the above aims.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/kgFolB/TM