RE: [iwar] al qaeda and SCADA

From: Rob Rosenberger (junkmail@barnowl.com)
Date: 2002-06-27 06:36:44

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Rob Rosenberger" <junkmail@barnowl.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:36:44 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] al qaeda and SCADA
First: anytime you see the words "SCADA" and "terrorist" in a news story --
which seems pretty common in [iwar] -- you should rush over to
http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=451&page=4 for a refresher course.

Second: we've learned THE HARD WAY, EVERY TIME, about the dangers of
technology.  Seriously -- why does anyone actually think we'll learn the
easy way this time around?

We built boats.  People died to teach us about the need for good
boat-making.  Even with the best materials, though, you still occasionally
run into an iceberg.  People died to teach us about the need for lifeboats.
We long ago figured out how to use boats as weapons and our enemies
sometimes explode 20x40' holes in our boats.

We built trains.  People died to teach us about the need for good
wheel-making.  Even with the best materials, though, you still occasionally
leap off the tracks.  People died to teach us about the need for safe
interiors.  We long ago figured out how to use trains as weapons and the
North won against the South in no small part because the rails ran smoothly.

We built cars.  People died to teach us about the need for seatbelts.  Even
with straps, though, you still occasionally impale yourself on the steering
column or bash your head on an unforgiving upper doorframe.  People died or
went into comas to teach us about the need for front- and side-deploy
airbags.  We long ago figured out how to use cars as weapons and we now even
drive around in Jeeps for the fun of it.

We built airplanes.  People died to teach us about the need for air safety.
Then we shipped a gazillion planes to WWII.  Airmen died to teach us about
all sorts of things about safe airplanes.  We long ago figured out how to
use airplanes as weapons, and then 19 guys reminded us about using airplanes
as weapons.  (Can you say "kamikaze"?)

...Okay, now we build computers.  Nothing bad happened yet, but that's just
because computers don't really do critical things.  (Like fly a plane.  Or
steer a boat.  Or drive a car.)  Yeah, a secretary's PC at a nuclear power
plant got infected with a Word macro virus, but technicians scrammed the
rods before the secretary's PC could do any real damage.  A lot of experts
want Congress to give them tax dollars so people never die at the hands of
the Melissa virus...

Mark my words: we'll overcome Darwinism this time around.  We've got
technology on our side!  :^|

Rob

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!