RE: [iwar] Al Qaeda cyber alarm sounded (fwd)

From: Rob Rosenberger (junkmail@barnowl.com)
Date: 2002-07-25 17:25:22

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Rob Rosenberger" <junkmail@barnowl.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:25:22 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] Al Qaeda cyber alarm sounded (fwd)
  >>There is a 50 percent chance

Normally I go halves on my cat's barbiturate medication, but he just
suffered another seizure.  I gotta give him the whole dose this time.  My
own brain starts to misfire when I don't get some of his narcs.  And right
now I simply cannot tell you WHERE ON EARTH THIS "50%" FIGURE COMES FROM?!?

  >>A successful cyberattack could cause billions of dollars
  >>in damage

News flash: Melissa caused over $1 billion in damage in 1999.  ILoveYou
caused $8.75 billion in damage in 2000.  Source: Michael Erbschloe, Computer
Economics, Inc.  The White House claims viruses cost the U.S. $12 billion in
2001.  Source: Richard Clarke, the president's demoted cyberspace security
advisor.

  >>Al Qaeda members seem especially interested in how they
  >>might disable the systems that provide electricity to
  >>California, Smith said.

Oh come now, Al Qaeda already did this!  Where do you think those "rolling
blackouts" came from?  Do you honestly expect me to believe an inept U.S.
power industry repeatedly attacked voter-customers in one of the top
political strongholds?

  >>About 90 percent of the nation's critical infrastructure is
  >>privately  owned, and much of it remains vulnerable to
  >>cyberattacks

Logic tells us to nationalize the critical infrastructures to shore up our
national security.  Nationalize the banks, nationalize Ma Bell, nationalize
the power grid, nationalize the airlines (not just the baggage screeners),
nationalize the water supplies, and most certainly nationalize the Internet.
License those who would surf the web.  Presidential hopeful John Edwards
promises a PKI in every CMOS!

Remove deadly terrorist cyber-weapons from schools and other weapon-free
zones.  No cyber-weapons allowed in coach, let alone in first class so close
to the cockpit.  Screw the white collars, I say!  I don't want another
fuselage to plummet from the sky just because some silk-tie freak wanted to
watch a pirated DVD while flying to Albuquerque on company time.

Al Qaeda.  Albuquerque. Coincidence?  I think not.  So where was I?  Aha...

  >>A June survey by the BSA showed that 74 percent of the

The BSA?  Oh, come now.  You mean to tell me these facts & figures flowed to
us from an Eagle Scout who did a high school survey for his computer
security merit badge?

  >>Fifty-nine percent of those surveyed said they expect a
  >>major cyberattack

Here's a clue.  Round up those 59% and ship 'em off to prison as
accomplices.

  >>call for creation of a Cyber Security Agency within the
  >>Homeland Security Department.

Run by Richard Clarke, I hope.  I can't wait for MORE thousands of Americans
to die on his watch.  [Au revoir, mon colonel...]

Rob

I have spoken.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!