Re: [iwar] [fc:Yale:.Princeton.Hacks.Admission.Site]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-07-28 10:58:00

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:58:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Yale:.Princeton.Hacks.Admission.Site]
Per the message sent by e.r.:

> While the Princton-Yale affair sickens me as an Ivy alum, taking such
> an underhanded action to get the best students these days would likely
> be an equalivent of an athletically oriented school doing the same to
> garner information on potential students to recruite for a sports team.

Except of course that this is a violatiopn of federal, state, and local
laws, and not just some NCAA thing.  I rarely speak on such issues in
this manner, but if it is true that this person violated these laws, I
think they should be arrested as the common crooks they are and thrown
in jail.  The University should be sued for the action of its employees,
and the acreditation boards should suspend the school from accreditation
if this is found to be a policy of the University.

> It would be a clear NCAA recruting violation if the hack were over
> student athletes.  The two universities are never hurting for
> competetion for the best students in the nation.  What generated this
> sleezy behavior goes far beyond any rational action,or comparitive
> analysis purposes.  I did grad work at Dartmouth's Thayer School of
> engineering and know that they attract both bright very athletically and
> generallly outdoor types give the climate.  It is not for everyone, but
> Yale and Princton do not have such disparities which makes their action
> incusible

Violations of law ar criminal acts.  The valid excuses as far as I am
aware are limited to self defense and some compelling greater good (like
preventing the loss of life).  Since these don't apply in this case,
jail is the solution.

To be clear on my view of this, I think the reson we have corporate
greed and outrageous behavior is that there is no punishment for these
things.  We are not talking about the misreading of a contract or some
mistake - we are talking about knowing and intentional violaiton of
laws.  If a black man in an inner city broke into a store to find out if
there was a securtity system, he would be in jail today and likely
convicted to stay there for some months to years.  It is a criminal and
outrageous act to fail to arreast and prosecute this crime.

FC

> >  Fred Cohen wrote:Yale: Princeton Hacks Admission Site
> > Yale Complains That Princeton Admissions Officials Hacked Into Site for
> > Prospective Students
> > http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20020725_1592.html

--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?