[iwar] [fc:MBA.students.learn.the.art.of.corporate.spying]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-08-06 20:46:12

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:MBA.students.learn.the.art.of.corporate.spying]

MBA students learn the art of corporate spying

By MARCI ELLIOTT
Scripps Howard News Service
August 06, 2002

Businesses spying on other businesses. What a concept.

And what a time to be learning such a thing.

MBA students at International College in Naples, Fla., are learning how to
do it the right way - and legally.

Best of all, they learned enough to apply their new skills to their own
businesses.

Even the legendary James Bond, Secret Agent 007 in the popular film series,
could learn from this class, college officials say.

The course, called "Seminar in Business Intelligence," is taught online to
graduate students in the master of business administration program. It was
designed to explore economic espionage and methods to protect an
organization's secrets, and even the course number couldn't be more
appropriate: GEB6-007.

The initial offering has been so popular it's being offered again in the
fall semester, which begins Sept. 9. Some students who already graduated
came back just to take the course, said Frederick Nerone, dean of
International College's School of Business, who developed and teaches the
course.

Nerone said students in the course rave about it.

"Some of the key factors are just knowing how to research a company and how
to make phone calls and contacts to dig out the information I need," said
Jerry Brooks, who's halfway through the MBA program. "There's a tremendous
amount of information available - resources I didn't even know existed. With
the Internet, it's readily available at your fingertips."

But Brooks, controller for Southeastern Carwash Systems in Fort Myers, Fla.,
cautioned there's so much information out there, it could easily become
overwhelming.

"It's best to pinpoint exactly what you're looking for," Brooks said. "This
has been a great course. I highly recommend it for anybody - not just for
the techniques you learn, but for the knowledge you gain from it."

Nerone said he came up with the idea for the online course after reading
some books about business and economic espionage, specifically "Spooked" by
Marc Barry and "Sticky Fingers" by Steven Fink.

Businesses spying on other businesses is nothing new, Nerone said. Companies
have done it for decades - from "shoppers" hired to compare prices at
discount giants Kmart and Wal-Mart to the top floors of global conglomerates
in New York City.

"What we're teaching is perfectly legal," said Nerone. "I don't want our
students to go away from this course with the idea that they're going to be
strategic cowboys. And I don't want them going to jail - but I do want them
to have competitive dominance."

Linda Jackson of Naples, another MBA student in the program, is taking the
Seminar in Business Intelligence to help in her job as manager of inventory
and purchasing for a high-tech company.

It's already paying off - and it's a lot of fun, said Jackson. "I've been in
purchasing 14 years, mostly in Chicago, and I've always trained my staff to
be careful with callers for information," she said. "More than anything,
this course has given me more skills to dig into the Web. I've learned
things I never expected to be there."

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/09Lw8C/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/kgFolB/TM