Re: [iwar] Mil iwar campaign on local US newspapers (fwd)

From: Chet Uber \(SP\) <chet.uber@securityposture.com>
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 11:10:51 PDT

> Six soldiers reached by GNS directly or through their families said
> they agreed with the letter's thrust. But none of the soldiers said he
> wrote it, and one said he didn't even sign it.

So the question is what CIA operative botched his mission, the DIA or NSA
would have been able to have anticipated and blocked access to the soldiers.

> He said the brigade's public affairs unit was not involved.

No it might have been the NCOIC of the office of information of the unit or
his brigade commander, but again they would have briefed their troops.

> "When he asked other soldiers in his unit to sign it, they did,"
> Oliver explained in an e-mail response to a GNS inquiry. "Someone,
> somewhere along the way, took it upon themselves to mail it to the
> various editors of newspapers across the country."

And this got through behind the lines military email military censors. You
mean we are doing worse job then Vietnam era?

> Lt. Col. Bill MacDonald, a spokesman for the 4th infantry Division
> that is heading operations in north-central Iraq, said he had not
> heard about the letter-writing campaign.
>
> Neither had Lt. Cmdr. Nick Balice, a spokesman for U.S. Central
> Command in Tampa, Fla.

Plausible deniability.

> A recent poll suggests that Americans are increasingly skeptical of
> America's prolonged involvement in Iraq. A USA Today-CNN-Gallup Poll
> released Sept. 23 found 50 percent believe that the situation in Iraq
> was worth going to war over, down from 73 percent in April.

I have a bad feeling that Bush will not weather this total scandal. The ties
to oil for his family and the intelligence community are just to blatant.
The contracts for "his group" for repair of oil infrastructure alone are as
bad as Johnson's investments in ribbon wire during nam as well. Some things
just are too obvious I think. Although I am basically in belief of the
ability for conspiracies to exist.

> "It makes it look like you cheated on a test, and everybody got the
> same grade," Grueser said by phone from a base in Italy where he had
> just arrived from Iraq.

No it means that someone saw an opportunity and ran with it -- oops.

Or is this whole thing part of some disinformation effort itself?

Chet