Re: [iwar] My article, published in Hindustan Times, edit page, Tuesday, 25 November 2003

From: Mandeep Singh Bajwa <mandeep_bajwa@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 17:26:29 PST

An excellent article, timely, well researched and well
written. China's development of I War facilities so
close to India's eastern seaboard and its intention to
dominate the Indian Ocean dictate that India must have
a series of modern outposts outside the Ocean to
protect its interests.

Mandeep Bajwa

 --- Ravi VS Prasad <r_v_p@yahoo.com> wrote: > My
article, published in Hindustan Times, edit page,
> Tuesday, 25 November 2003
>
> http://www.hindustantimes.com & click on Editorial
>
> By Ravi Visvesvaraya Prasad
>
> The holding of joint exercises by the Indian and
> Chinese navies caused a
> veteran of 1962 to splutter: “What will Vajpayee’s
> next peace
> initiative lead to? Joint patrolling of the LoC by
> the
> Lashkar-e-Taiba
> and the Indian Army? Joint guarding of Sansad Bhavan
> by the Jaish-e-Muhammad
> and the Black Cats?”
>
> Although the port calls and joint search-and-rescue
> exercises being
> conducted this week in the South China Sea near
> Shanghai, in the
> aftermath of the visits of George Fernandes and
> Vajpayee, are the most
> rudimentary form of naval cooperation, both the
> Chinese and Indian
> governments have heralded them as the dawn of a new
> era of peace.
>
> However, South Block would be acutely aware that
> China
> and Pakistan had
> conducted an extensive joint naval exercise between
> October 18 and 22 in
> the same region just before Pervez Musharraf’s
> state
> visit to China in
> the first week of November. A key element of Chinese
> naval strategy,
> from the days of Admirals Shi Yunsheng and Liu
> Huaqing, is a blue-water
> presence in the Indian Ocean, concomitant with a
> strategic encirclement
> of India through naval cooperation with Pakistan,
> Bangladesh and Myanmar.
> Significantly for India, Operation Dolphin 0310,
> commanded by Vice
> Admiral Zhang Deshun, chief of staff of the East
> China
> Sea Fleet, was
> the first time ever that either China or Pakistan
> had
> engaged in joint
> naval operations with any another nation.
>
> The American naval strategist Alfred Thayer Mahan
> had
> predicted in 1890:
> “Whoever controls the Indian Ocean will dominate
> Asia. This ocean is
> the key to the seven seas. In the 21st century, the
> destiny of the world
> would be decided on its waters.” China’s goal is to
> achieve
> overwhelming military, geopolitical, diplomatic,
> economic and cultural
> dominance over all of Asia, as described in its
> White
> Paper on Defence
> issued in October 2000. Although the Peoples
> Liberation Army Navy
> identifies its primary antagonists as Taiwan, USA,
> Japan and South Korea,
> it has formulated a long-term strategy to establish
> blue-water
> [...]

Yahoo! India Mobile: Download the latest polyphonic ringtones.
Go to http://in.mobile.yahoo.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/kgFolB/TM