[iwar] White House chastised for use of security technology

From: Ralph Wasmer <rwasmer@swbell.net>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:40:59 PST

Title: White House chastised for use of security technology
   Source: GovExec.com
   Date Written: December 2, 2003
   Date Collected: December 3, 2003
A report released by the New York-based Markle Foundation says the Bush
administration has failed to effectively use information technology to
improve Homeland Security, and proposes a System-wide Homeland Analysis and
Resource Exchange (SHARE) Network to facilitate cooperation between law
enforcement and technology firms. Markle president Zoe Baird believes that
"[t]he government can set up a network that improves our ability to prevent
terrorism and protect civil liberties." The report also calls for a clearer
definition of the responsibilities of the Terrorist Threat Integration
Center (TTIC) and inclusion of privacy principles in the foundation of any
intelligence network. Markle released a report in October 2002 calling for
better information sharing to fight terrorism, but the December 2003 report
is more highly critical of the administration's slow pace on intelligence
sharing projects. The report contrasts what it calls the "Cold War
intelligence architecture" with t!
he distributed and decentralized model of the Internet, which it recommends
for homeland security.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1203/120203tdpm1.htm
fed

"I believe -
in human dignity as the source of national purpose,
in human liberty as the source of national action,
in the human heart as the source of national compassion, and
in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas"
John F Kennedy, September 1960

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/kgFolB/TM