Re: [iwar] Another case of security by denial

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 20:44:19 PST

Per the message sent by Tony Bartoletti:

> >Mr. Schwartau concludes that security experts must focus on the
> >capabilities rather than the motives of potential adversaries.

> An excellent point. Where the capabilities exist, SOMEONE will find a motive.

> Motive-based risk assessment is important at the margins, but cannot trump
> consideration of systemic vulnerability.

The problem with this approach is that capabilities without intent makes
for overprotected environments. I know that there are lots of folks
with amazing capabilities but if I try to protect my toy store against
Russians who might want to find out how many Tonka trucks I sell I will
go out of business.

> -- "Nature always sides with the hidden flaw"

Nature is pretty much probabilistic in nature - human attackers are not
as predictable.

FC
-- This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve --
Fred Cohen - http://all.net/ - fc@all.net - fc@unhca.com - tel/fax: 925-454-0171
Fred Cohen & Associates - University of New Haven - Security Posture