MKULTRA and LSD
This June 1953 document records Dr. Sidney Gottlieb's approval of an early CIA acid test. "This project will include a continuation of a study of the biochemical, neurophysiological, sociological, and clinical psychiatric aspects of L.S.D.," the CIA scientist writes.
DRAFT - [deleted] 9 June 1953
MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD
SUBJECT: Project MKULTRA, Subproject 8
1. Subproject 8 is being set up as a means to continue the present work in the general field of L.S.D. at [deleted] until 11 September 1954.
2. This project will include a continuation of a study of the biochemical, neurophysiological, sociological, and clinical psychiatric aspects of L.S.D., and also a study of L.S.D. antagonists and drugs related to L.S.D., such as L.A.E. A detailed proposal is attached. The principle investigators will continue to be [deleted] all or [deleted].
3. The estimated budget of the project at [deleted] is $39,500.00. The [deleted] will serve as a cut-out and cover the project for this project and will furnish the above funds to the [deleted] as a philanthropic grant for medical research. A service charge of $790.00 (2% of the estimated) is to be paid to the [deleted] for this service.
4. Thus the total charges for this project will not exceed $40, 290.00 for a period ending September 11, 1954.
5. [deleted] (Director of the hospital) are cleared through TOP SECRET and are aware of the true purpose of the project.
[signature of Sidney Gottlieb]
Chief, Chemical Division/TSS