RE: [iwar] news

From: Glenn Williamson (Glenn_Williamson@ottawa.com)
Date: 2001-06-04 16:48:31

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Glenn Williamson" <Glenn_Williamson@ottawa.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 19:48:31 -0400
Subject: RE: [iwar] news

All,

 I have to totally agree with a couple of statements Tony et al have stated
in regard to the DOS that CERT and others experience, having seen them and
having quickly altered router settings so the malformed/misguided protocol
packets do not make it in, I understand the time it takes and the cost
associated with it. But having spent time digesting Steve's work a couple of
days ago, I don't think so much that MS is giving people the ability to
create protocols, I think they are giving them the ability to destroy
protocols. If we eventually get to the point we have to stop allowing
certain protocols to cross the bandwidth then is it not destroying the much
needed protocol. Originally the Net was not there to hide information inside
of various protocols, but that is what it has turned to as we can not stem
the the ability of software to allow full control of protocols
(misconfigure/mis-construct) to the point they cause damage, vice what the
internet was originally made for.

 Well that was my CDN 2 cents worth.

Glenn
XWAVE <http://www.xwave.com/>