RE: [iwar] news

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-06-04 17:24:15

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 17:24:15 -0700
Subject: RE: [iwar] news

Glenn,

Thanks for the support!

Fred, when you say "we know how to stop DoS attacks", should I assume that
you mean

a.  Forcing ISPs to not route outgoing packets with bogus source addresses
(and blacklisting those that do?)  Can this be done, globally?

b.  Abolishing Internet Anonymity?  Can this be done, globally?

c.  "And now for something entirely different ..."?

The only way to effect the (necessarily global) scope of these solutions is
to adopt new protocols, and then phase out (refuse to route) the previous ones.

Is that your thought in this?

___tony___

At 07:48 PM 6/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
>All,
>
>  I have to totally agree with a couple of statements Tony et al have stated
>in regard to the DOS that CERT and others experience, having seen them and
>having quickly altered router settings so the malformed/misguided protocol
>packets do not make it in, I understand the time it takes and the cost
>associated with it. But having spent time digesting Steve's work a couple of
>days ago, I don't think so much that MS is giving people the ability to
>create protocols, I think they are giving them the ability to destroy
>protocols. If we eventually get to the point we have to stop allowing
>certain protocols to cross the bandwidth then is it not destroying the much
>needed protocol. Originally the Net was not there to hide information inside
>of various protocols, but that is what it has turned to as we can not stem
>the the ability of software to allow full control of protocols
>(misconfigure/mis-construct) to the point they cause damage, vice what the
>internet was originally made for.
>
>  Well that was my CDN 2 cents worth.
>
>Glenn
>XWAVE <http://www.xwave.com/>
>65 Iber Rd
>Stittsville, Ont
>613-831-0888 (ext# 3055)
>mailto:Glenn.Williamson@xwave.com <mailto:Glenn.Williamson@xwave.com>

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900