Re: [iwar] Arab/Israeli "CyberWar" of our own making

From: B.K. DeLong (bkdelong@pobox.com)
Date: 2001-06-11 19:05:31

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:05:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [iwar] Arab/Israeli "CyberWar" of our own making

At 06:38 PM 06/11/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Israel knows who is launching attacks from their side, and they include
>reserve military officers over which they have control should they
>choose to exert it.  They do nothing to stop these attacks and they
>clearly have the ability to do so.  This is done as a matter of national
>policy - whether de-facto by ignoring it or explicitly by supporting it.

Oh come on, Fred. That's like saying the US knows every single kid doing a
DoS attack at any given time. Hell, the NIPC takes months to find these
people. What makes you think the Israeli government knows who's doing it ?

>While I am here, let's talk about the US and China - same situation as
>far as I can tell.

Nah - I'll dispute that. I spent a lot of time on the primary Chinese-based
IRC server where this action was being coordinated. I found a handful of
people who could speak English and were hanging out with l1on and the
"honker union of China " or HUC, ChinaEagle and Redhackers and asked them
what the deal was for the 4-8 days of the defacement spree.

 From what I heard (multiple sources) it was a bunch of low-level script
kiddies retaliating against the US for all the English-speaking hackers
hitting their sites and that all the "medium to high level hackers" were
staying out of the whole thing. There was rumblings towards the end of the
activity that the more experienced hackers would get involved if the US
kids didn't stop the heavily-racial insults that appeared on defacements of
high-level Chinese government sites.

I don't believe it was "government sanctioned" or ordered...but you have to
remember that the Chinese train of thought is that everything is "for the
government". Attrition.org became a target because they couldn't believe
such a site was not US government sanctioned.

Most of my thoughts are inline with this commentary (which I posted last
night):
http://www.attrition.org/security/commentary/cn-us-war.html

The Chinese defacers I was in touch with were not reading English-based
press. Yet it was quite clear the kids attacking China were and stepped up
attacks in tune with the media coverage. IMNSHO, this whole incident could
have been ended almost instantly if the US media did not blow it out of
proportion and feed the egos of English-speaking teens.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong@pobox.com

http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.