Re: [iwar] Duration of Cyber Conflicts

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-07-09 06:35:13

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 06:35:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] Duration of Cyber Conflicts

Per the message sent by Dan Ellis:

> think of cyber warfare, I immediately picture a conflict of high
> intensity that lasts hours to days.

The 6-day war only lasted 6 days - and it was called a war.

> Some may argue that this is not cyber
> warfare, but rather an cyber conflict.  I don't visualize trench warfare
> as having any analogy in information conflicts.  I visualize cyber
> warfare as being more analogous to dropping an atom bomb.

I don't see this myself.  In order to convince someone to really give up
in a war - or to sue for peace - you have to have enough of a hold on
them to force the issue.  Unless we become far more dependant on IT
systems that we are today it will take longer than a few days.

> It takes two short
> instances to persuade the adversary to surrender.

Indeed, but this is not the whole story of that war.  It took years of
war before it got to that.

> 	Is there an (inverse) relationship between the capacity of weapons to
> do harm (intensity of conflict) and the duration of conflict?

Certainly more harm induces peace more quickly - but perhaps not lasting
peace.  The Brits rapidly defeated the Irish in their war hundreds of
years ago.  I don't see a lasting peace yet.

> (I am not
> a military guy--just a theory guy. :)  If so, how long before cyber
> weapons become sophisticated enough to shorten the length of conflict to
> hours/days?

If we do things right, infinity.  We need to make certain in our designs
that this never becomes a possibility.  That's one of the many reasons
we undertake information protection as a profession.

FC
--
Fred Cohen at Sandia National Laboratories at tel:925-294-2087 fax:925-294-1225
  Fred Cohen & Associates: http://all.net - fc@all.net - tel/fax:925-454-0171