[iwar] Re: Duration of Cyber Conflicts

From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: 2001-07-10 08:55:24

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:55:24 -0000
Subject: [iwar] Re: Duration of Cyber Conflicts

--- In iwar@y..., Fred Cohen <fc@a...> wrote:
> Per the message sent by Dan Ellis:

> > think of cyber warfare, I immediately picture a conflict of high
> > intensity that lasts hours to days.
>
> The 6-day war only lasted 6 days - and it was called a war.

Thank you for the supporting evidence.

> > Some may argue that this is not cyber
> > warfare, but rather a cyber conflict.  I don't visualize trench
warfare
> > as having any analogy in information conflicts.  I visualize cyber
> > warfare as being more analogous to dropping an atom bomb.
>
> I don't see this myself.  In order to convince someone to really
give up
> in a war - or to sue for peace - you have to have enough of a hold
on
> them to force the issue.  Unless we become far more dependant on IT
> systems that we are today it will take longer than a few days.

I disagree.  You may need to fight until it hurts, unless the outcome
is a forgone conclusion.  Many in the animal kingdom take time to
measure relative competencies before sparring: it saves both a lot of
pain if there is an obvious advantage.

Another way in which a short offensive may be helpful is to avert an
engagement.  Imagine Iraq engages Kuwait (back up to the original
scenario, while maintaining current dependence on a virtual
infrastructure).  The US waves a fist saying "get out or else".  Iraq
ignores the threat.  The US starts the slow process of building forces
in the region.  Iraq makes a threat to the effect that it will stab
the heart of the western devil (an intentionally ambiguous threat).
Later that day the president calls their bluff and issues orders for
more forces to move into the area.  The next day, the western power
grid is shut off.  Several airports are "tainted" such that bad things
happen.  Several companies file reports of financial losses and the
stock markets plummet.  The US population is nearly split in opinion
on action in the area.  Nobody takes claim for the incidents, but
everyone guesses it was Iraq.  How many days would it take to complete
deter popular opinion?  This tactic might even be more effective than
putting reporters' cameras in Vietnam.  I think more Americans would
be more offended by not being able to watch TV or have lights than by
watching the attrocities of war.

> > It takes two short
> > instances to persuade the adversary to surrender.
>
> Indeed, but this is not the whole story of that war.  It took years
of
> war before it got to that.

If the outcome had been a forgone conclusion, Japan would've given up
before the unnecessary fighting in the islands.

> > 	Is there an (inverse) relationship between the capacity of
weapons to
> > do harm (intensity of conflict) and the duration of conflict?
>
> Certainly more harm induces peace more quickly - but perhaps not
lasting
> peace.  The Brits rapidly defeated the Irish in their war hundreds
of
> years ago.  I don't see a lasting peace yet.
>
> > (I am not
> > a military guy--just a theory guy. :)  If so, how long before
cyber
> > weapons become sophisticated enough to shorten the length of
conflict to
> > hours/days?
>
> If we do things right, infinity.  We need to make certain in our
designs
> that this never becomes a possibility.  That's one of the many
reasons
> we undertake information protection as a profession.

I never thought I would hear somebody who understood the problem say
that.  What do you mean "do things right?"  If people had "done guns
right", do you think that we would have no violence or no crime?