RE: [iwar] Chinese IW-one more thought

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2001-07-31 08:12:32

To: "'iwar@yahoogroups.com'" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:12:32 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] Chinese IW-one more thought

I agree completely with your point.  Their advantage is augmented, as you
suggest, by several factors.  One is the sheer numbers of potential
I-warriors at their disposal.  Second is their ability to put technology in
each of these myriad I-warriors' hands to prosecute their plan of campaign.
Third, and most important, is the active endorsement of their government in
supporting this effort.  Add to this the seeming infinite patience they can
exercise as they proceed.

This scenario compares favourably to the USA/NATO balance of airpower to
that of the former USSR - we chose the technological route, whereas the
Soviets went with numbers.  Our planes may be able to knock out 6 of theirs,
but that doesn't matter if they put up 7 or more to each one of ours.
Ultimately they would still be flying and we would not.  With the Chinese
(and possibly others), this is definitely a numbers game.  In this case,
however, their numbers have the same technology we have.

Ross A. Leo, CISSP, CBCP
Director, IT Security Engineering

"Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war."  Wm. Shakespeare