Re: [iwar] News Item and a Question

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-08-17 12:06:22

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:06:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] News Item and a Question

On question 1- sure war will still be primarily conventional, but
having the ability to disinform, or shut down the bad guys on eliint at
just the right time in a conventional fight would give the cyber wise
side an advantage.  Thanks for the info, tony. BethR
--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
> At 08:43 AM 8/17/01 +0500, Ozair wrote:
> >News Item
> ><snip>
> >By BBC Defence Correspondent Jonathan Marcus
> >Now that the Bush Administration has belatedly given its approval
> for
> >the Pentagon to order the first batch of advanced F-22 warplanes
> both
> >the US Air Force and the aircraft's manufacturers - Lockheed Martin
> -
> >will be relieved.
> >
> >Many feared that the F-22 could become the first high-profile victim
> of
> >Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's Pentagon reforms.
> >
> >Billed as a far-reaching attempt to re-shape the US military for the
> >conflicts of the 21st century, the Rumsfeld reform process has run
> into
> >the sand.
> >
> >It has prompted strong opposition from both Congress and senior
> serving
> >officers. Reform there still will be, but there are growing doubts
> about
> >its scale and scope.
> >

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1495000/1495340.s
> >tm
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >Question
> >How would this impact the ability to move towards the Information
> >Warfare arena, would wars still be largely conventional?
>

> Ozair,
>
> You are kidding, right?
>
> No matter how "mature" info warfare may become, I cannot imagine that
> the
> bullet and bomb manufacturers will have to worry about sales.
> Information
> operations will be only another tool in the arsenal.  Despite the
> advent of
> laser-guided smart bombs and EM-pulse weapons, hoards of
> machete-toting
> humans are still a force to contend with.
>
> Other opinions welcome!
>
> ___tony___
>

> Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
> Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> Livermore, CA 94551-9900

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets? Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Bre3tC/Q56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM