RE: [iwar] Preparing for 'Network-Centric' Warfare

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-08-30 14:40:49

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:40:49 -0700
Subject: RE: [iwar] Preparing for 'Network-Centric' Warfare

At 09:13 AM 8/30/01 -0400, you wrote:

>>I wonder how the good scientists and engineers from North Korea, Iran,
>>and Pakistan must feel when the world's major superpower (US) promulgates
>>the notion that without the technological gifts from "parent nations",
>>these professionals would be unable to rub two sticks together.
>
>Driven to prove their capabilities through demonstration... Welcome to the
>traditional arrogance of a world power to the lesser nations. We're going to
>get our ass kicked if we don't watch our language and attitudes. In today's
>world most of these folks have degrees from the same places, and never
>forget raw talent. It is a dangerous precedent to associate capability
>(especially short term or one off demonstration) with the density of PhD's.
>
>>A question:  If it were possible for these "rogue nations" to fully
>>develop major offensive capability without the help of other nations,
>>would we (the US) still hold to the line that they got the capability
>>from (Russia, China, etc) in order to pressure those parent nations into
>>policing "their children"?  That is, to let it be known that should any
>>overt act on the part of "the child" occur, we would hold "the parent"
>>responsible?
>
>I like it ... NOT, short term, dangerous classic escalation mentality. How
>much of that material (I wanted to say c?#*) in the emerging nations is US
>sourced? Unless it can be proven in world court that a 'superpower' nation
>is directly assisting nuclear offensive development to offensive capability
>in a state sanctioned mode you are treading on a thin shell lava field, have
>fun.
>
>As I have said before, rockets are so damned inefficient, I grant that they
>are timely delivery vehicles but I see no requirement that they get their
>payloads to target in 15 minutes vs. 30 hours. Actually the 30 hours
>provides considerably more Pysch Ops advantage, albeit with the heighten
>risk of interception.
>
>Or did I miss your point Tony?
>
>Regards,
>
>John  Sforza

I think you got my point, John.  And I agree with yours as well.  Often, it
seems that the "real threat" is one of perception, a "hearts and minds"
issue.  Some must find value in the "escalation mentality", if that is what
is behind these statements.  Perhaps more generously, it might be deemed a
"linkage mentality".  When wayward children commit some heinous act, we
tend to spread the "blame" or responsibility across a wide spectrum; their
parents, their teachers, their peers, societal influences via the media,
etc., in addition to the child alone.  We recognize that simply sanctioning
the child will have essentially zero effect in deterring other children,
who are rarely "consequence-oriented".  We also recognize that we are all
at risk from uncontrolled elements, and thus all have a stake in stabilization.

Bottom line, 'though, is that I feel no compulsion to wreak destruction on
others because ... I don't feel chronically cheated and desperately without
effective recourse.  Unless we address such issues on a global scale, all
we do with non-proliferation is slow the doomsday clock a bit.  It yet
ticks onward.

Just a gut feeling ... :(

____tony___

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM