[iwar] ACLU Joins Nation in Horror Over Terrorist Attack (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-13 03:20:28

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:20:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] ACLU Joins Nation in Horror Over Terrorist Attack (fwd)

THE AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION ISSUED THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT FROM
ACLU EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ANTHONY ROMERO IN REACTION TO THE TERRORIST
ATTACKS THAT STRUCK AMERICA THIS WEEK:

The American Civil Liberties Union joins the nation today in grieving
over the devastating loss of life resulting from the joint attacks
against the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the crash of the
airplane outside of Pittsburgh.

We strongly applaud the words of our national leaders who, in reaction
to this unparalleled tragedy, have promised to preserve the free and
open society that has made this nation great.

We welcome, in particular, the eloquent words of President Bush who told
the nation last night that, "America was targeted for attack because
we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world.
And no one will keep that light from shining."

Similarly, Attorney General John Ashcroft pledged that, "the
determination of these terrorists will not deter the determination of
the American people.  We are survivors, and freedom is a survivor.  A
free American people will not be intimidated, nor will we be defeated."

In the difficult days ahead, the ACLU will work with our nation's
leaders to help the nation achieve its goal of protecting the security
and freedom of all people in America.

We will urge our leaders to continue to uphold the principles of liberty
the nation holds dear as they pursue those responsible for this
devastating attack on American soil.

Finally, we take a measure of comfort in the fact that one of the
greatest symbols of freedom and democracy in our nation still stands:
through the billowing smoke of destruction in lower Manhattan, the
Statue of Liberty lifts her torch to freedom.  Long may she survive.

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM