[iwar] Nuclear weapons not ruled out by US

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-16 16:31:29

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:31:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Nuclear weapons not ruled out by US

SEC. OF DEFENSE DOES NOT RULE OUT NUKES AS LAST RESORT
Sun Sep 16 2001 14:03:41 ET

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld this morning refused to rule out the
use of nuclear weapons in America's coming battle with terrorists.

Appearing on ABC's THIS WEEK, Rumsfeld was asked if a possible tactical
nuclear strike would be used.

"Can we rule out the use of nuclear weapons?" questioned ABC's Sam
Donaldson.

RUMSFELD: You know, that subject--we have an amazing accomplishment
that's been achieved on the part of human beings.  We've had this
unbelievably powerful weapon, nuclear weapons, since what 55 years now
plus, and it's not been fired in anger since 1945.  That's an amazing
accomplishment.  I think it reflects a sensitivity on the part of
successive presidents that they ought to find as many other ways to deal
with problems as is possible.

DONALDSON: I'll have to think about your answer.  I don't think the
answer was no.

RUMSFELD: The answer was that that we ought to be very proud of the
record of humanity that we have not used those weapons for 55 years.
And we have to find as many ways possible to deal with this serious
problem of terrorism.

And if, Sam, you think of the loss of human life on Tuesday and then put
in your head the reality that a number of countries today have other
so-called asymmetrical threat capabilities--ballistic missiles, cruise
missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons, cyber warfare--these are
the kinds of things that are used in this era the 21st century.  And a
germ warfare attack anywhere in the world would bring about losses of
lives not in the thousands but in the millions.

***

Also on Sunday, Sen.  John McCain [R-AZ] did not rule out the use of
nukes, but added that it would not be a "serious option".

FOX NEWS SUNDAY host Tony Snow: Would it be appropriate in some cases
even to consider using tactical, that is low-grade nuclear weapons, in
such a strike?

MCCAIN: I think that you can't absolutely rule out any option.  But
there are so many ramifications of the use of a nuclear weapon that I
don't believe that that would be a serious option because I think there
are so many other ways we could achieve the goals we seek.

Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM