[iwar] [fc:Senate.committee.looks.into.IT.vulnerabilities]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-17 16:27:31

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:27:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Senate.committee.looks.into.IT.vulnerabilities]

Senate committee looks into IT vulnerabilities
By Patrick Thibodeau, IDG, 9/17/2001

WASHINGTON (IDG) -- Not wasting any time, the U.S.  Senate Governmental
Affairs Committee Wednesday held a hearing on a key question in the wake
of the attacks in New York and Washington: whether computer networks
that run vital services are vulnerable to terrorism.

The answer from two government witnesses is that government systems
suffer from poor security, rely on buggy, commercial off-the-shelf
software that creates risks and don't get security incident data from
private sector companies that could help the government improve
cyberprotection.

"The private sector, for good reasons, does not always want to share
information related to threats, what the risks may be, what kind of
incidents that may have occurred in the past," said Joel Willemssen, who
manages IT issues for the congressional watchdog agency, the General
Accounting Office.

Private-sector security data "can give us a sense of where we stand
strategically and where our risks are at," said Willemssen.  Willemssen
and other government officials involved in critical infrastructure
issues have voiced such concerns before.  But they received renewed
attention after Tuesday's attacks.  The State, said Committee Chairman
Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.), has entered a "new era" in protecting
national security, one that includes improving the nation's capability
to protect critical systems from sophisticated cyberattacks.

Wednesday's hearing on critical infrastructure had been scheduled prior
to Tuesday's attacks.

"Today, our hearts and minds are naturally focused on yesterday's
tragedy, but it is important that the Senate continue with America's
business, particularly as it affects America's security," said
Lieberman.  "Our enemies will increasingly strike this mighty nation at
places where they believe we are not only dependent but unguarded.  That
is surely true of cyberspace infrastructure today."

U.S.  officials have been working to organize critical industrial and
service sectors to develop information-sharing arrangements with each
other as well as with the National Infrastructure Protection Center.
But participation has been limited, in part, by concerns that sensitive
corporate data might be publicly released.

Sen.  Robert Bennett (R-Utah), has introduced a bill -- a similar one
has been introduced in the House -- that would offer protection to
corporate data shared with the government.  That bill "would be a great
motivator to enable increased sharing of information between private and
public sectors, which is absolutely critical," said Willemssen.  Also
faulted at the hearing was the reliability of commercial software.
Roberta Gross, the inspector general for the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration, accused vendors of shipping software with
vulnerabilities.

"If you want to talk about the public-private partnership, the private
sector can start to be responsible," said Gross.  "Off-the-shelf
software cannot be coming on with vulnerabilities.  There has got to be
some warranties."

Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM