[iwar] [fc:Ashcroft.Wants.Quick.Action.On.Broader.Wiretapping.Plan]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-18 08:04:24

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:04:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Ashcroft.Wants.Quick.Action.On.Broader.Wiretapping.Plan]

New York Times
September 18, 2001
Ashcroft Wants Quick Action On Broader Wiretapping Plan
By Philip Shenon
WASHINGTON, Sept. 17 - Attorney General John Ashcroft said today that he
would press Congress to vote this week on a package of counterterrorism
measures that would dramatically expand the ability of the Justice
Department to place wiretaps on telephones and computer terminals.
Under intense pressure to move quickly on antiterrorism legislation in
response to the deadly attacks in New York and at the Pentagon, lawmakers
said the House and Senate Judiciary Committees would debate the
administration's proposals as soon as Congress reconvened on Thursday,
pushing aside other business.
"We've cleared our calendar," said Mimi Devlin, a spokesman for the Senate
committee.
Mr. Ashcroft said at a news conference today that the Justice Department
planned to complete the draft legislation by Wednesday and would present it
immediately to Congress for a vote.
Although many details of the proposal have not been revealed, Mr. Ashcroft
said the administration would call for new authority to conduct roving
wiretaps, allowing law enforcement officials to eavesdrop on terrorist
suspects who moved from phone to phone, rather than eavesdropping on a
specific phone.
The proposals were also expected to include new powers for the Justice
Department to fight money laundering, tougher penalties for those who harbor
terrorists and removal of the statute of limitations, or deadlines, for
prosecuting terrorists.
Civil rights advocates said they were alarmed by the administration's demand
that Congress move so quickly to approve measures that, they warned, could
severely curtail the right to privacy.
"Some of these proposals would seem to involve a fundamental rewriting of
the wiretap laws," said James X. Dempsey of the Center for Democracy and
Technology. "We need deliberate, open scrutiny by the legislative process."
Laura W. Murphy of the American Civil Liberties Union said, "We cannot let
our grief and anger overwhelm our democracy. Now is the time for the
people's representatives to be even more thoughtful and deliberative than
usual."
Despite Mr. Ashcroft's request for approval of the package this week,
Congressional officials said lawmakers were not likely to move that quickly,
especially in the Senate.
The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat
of Vermont, is a leading Congressional advocate of privacy rights. In an
interview today, Senator Leahy promised quick action on the administration's
plan but said there would be a careful review of the proposals.
"If some of the terrorism penalties are not sufficient, that's easy to
change," he said.
But he added that "the biggest mistake we could make" was for Congress to
conclude that the terrorism threat was so great because of last week's
attacks "that we don't need the Constitution."
In his news conference, Mr. Ashcroft insisted that the department was being
sensitive to privacy rights as it hurriedly drafted the legislation.
"We are mindful of our responsibility to protect the rights and privacy of
Americans," he said, adding, however, that "we want to make sure that our
laws convey the seriousness of the crime of terrorism."
Mr. Ashcroft, a former senator, has told lawmakers that the Justice
Department needs the package approved this week, though lawmakers will be
away until Thursday to observe the Jewish holiday Rosh Hashana.
"We call upon the Congress of the United States to enact these important
antiterrorism measures this week," he said. "We need these tools to fight
the terrorism threat which exists in the United States."

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets? Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wOMkGD/Q56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM