[iwar] [fc:First.We.Cripple.The.CIA,.Then.We.Blame.It]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-18 08:14:32

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:14:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:First.We.Cripple.The.CIA,.Then.We.Blame.It]

Wall Street Journal
September 18, 2001
First We Cripple The CIA, Then We Blame It
By Tom Clancy, a novelist.

We know now that America has been the victim of a large, well-planned,
and well-executed terrorist act.  The parameters are yet to be fully
explored, but that won't stop the usual suspects from pontificating
(and, yes, that includes me) on what happened and what needs to be done
as a result.  A few modest observations:

As I write this we only know the rough outlines of what has taken place.
We do not know exactly who the perpetrators were, though we have heard
from Vice President Dick Cheney that there is "no question" that Osama
bin Laden had a role.  But many groups may have been involved, and we do
not know their motivation, or for whom or for what particular objective
they worked.  "Don't know" means "don't know" and nothing more.  Absent
hard information, talking about who it must have been and what we need
to do about it is a waste of air and energy.  To discern the important
facts, we have the Federal Bureau of Investigation as our principal
investigative agency, and the Central Intelligence Agency (along with
National Security Agency and the Defense Intelligence Agency) as our
principal foreign-intelligence services.  Getting the most important
information is their job, not the job of the news media, which will only
repeat what they are told.  Gathering this information will take time,
because we need to get it right.

Terrorism is a political act, performed for political objectives.  The
general aim of terrorism is to force changes in the targeted society
through the shock value of the crime committed.  Therefore, if we make
radical changes in how our country operates, the bad guys win.  We do
not want that to happen.  Whoever planned this operation is watching us
right now, and they are probably having a pretty good laugh.  We can't
stop that.  What we can do is to maintain that which they most hate,
which is a free society.  We've worked too hard to become what we are,
and we can't allow a few savages to change it for us.

Next, our job is to take a step back, take a deep breath and get to work
finding out who it was, where they are, and what to do about it.
Terrorism is a crime under the civil law when committed by domestic
terrorists; it can be an act of war when committed by foreigners.  For
domestic criminals we have the FBI and police.  For acts of war we have
our intelligence community and the military.  In either case we have
well-trained people to do the work.  If we let them do their job, and
give them the support they need, the job will get done as reliably as
gravity.  The foreign-source option seems the most likely at this time.
The first line of defense in such a case is the intelligence community.
The CIA is an agency of about 18,000 employees, of whom perhaps 800 are
field-intelligence officers -- that is, the people who go out on the
street and learn what people are thinking, not how many tanks they have
parked outside (we have satellites to photograph those).

I've been saying for a lot of years that this number is too small.
American society doesn't love its CIA, for the same reason that it
doesn't always love its cops.  We too often regard them as a threat to
ourselves rather than our enemies.  Perhaps these incidents will make us
rethink that.  The best defense against terrorist incidents is to
prevent them from happening.  You do that by finding out what a
potential enemy is thinking before he is able to act.  What the field
intelligence officers do is no different from what Special Agent Joe
Pistone of the FBI did when he infiltrated the mafia under the cover
name of Donnie Brasco.  The purpose of these operations is to find out
what people are thinking and talking about.  However good your
satellites are, they cannot see inside a human head.  Only people can go
and do that.

But America, and especially the American news media, does not love the
CIA in general and the field spooks in particular.  As recently as two
weeks ago, CBS's "60 Minutes" regaled us with the hoary old chestnut
about how the CIA undermined the leftist government of Chile three
decades ago.  The effect of this media coverage, always solicitous to
leftist governments, is to brand the CIA an antiprogressive agency that
does Bad Things.  In fact, the CIA is a government agency, subject to
the political whims of whoever sits in the White House and Congress.
The CIA does what the government of which it is a part tells it to do.
Whatever evil the CIA may have done was the result of orders from above.
The Chilean event and others (for example, attempts to remove Fidel
Castro from the land of the living, undertaken during the presidency of
JFK, rather more rarely reported because only good came from Camelot)
caused the late Sen.  Frank Church to help gut the CIA's Directorate of
Operations in the 1970s.  What he carelessly left undisturbed then fell
afoul of the Carter administration's hit man, Stansfield Turner.  That
capability has never been replaced.

It is a lamentably common practice in Washington and elsewhere to shoot
people in the back and then complain when they fail to win the race.
The loss of so many lives in New York and Washington is now called an
"intelligence failure," mostly by those who crippled the CIA in the
first place, and by those who celebrated the loss of its invaluable
capabilities.  What a pity that they cannot stand up like adults now and
say: "See, we gutted our intelligence agencies because we don't much
like them, and now we can bury thousands of American citizens as an
indirect result." This, of course, will not happen, because those who
inflict their aesthetic on the rest of us are never around to clean up
the resulting mess, though they seem to enjoy further assaulting those
whom they crippled to begin with.  Call it the law of unintended
consequences.  The intelligence community was successfully assaulted for
actions taken under constitutionally mandated orders, and with nothing
left to replace what was smashed, warnings we might have had to prevent
this horrid event never came.  Of course, neither I nor anyone else can
prove that the warnings would have come, and I will not invoke the
rhetoric of the political left on so sad an occasion as this.  But the
next time America is in a fight, it is well to remember that tying one's
own arm is unlikely to assist in preserving, protecting and defending
what is ours.

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM