[iwar] [fc:MS,.the.punitive.puppeteer.]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-20 20:38:58

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:38:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:MS,.the.punitive.puppeteer.]

A punitive puppeteer?
The Gripe Line
Ed Foster

NOW THAT WE know Microsoft is going to remain one company, it seems an
appropriate time to step back and take a look at the company's recent
practices and what they tell us we can expect in the future.

Readers have had a wide variety of complaints about Microsoft on the
Gripe Line during the last year or so.  We've seen the Redmond giant
quietly start forcing large OEMs to provide only recovery CDs for
Windows, eliminate much of the free support it had provided for
applications, invoke its license terms to keep an independent lab from
publishing benchmarks, and harass whole sets of customers with demands
for "voluntary" software audits.  It has also announced wholesale
changes to its volume licensing that appear ultimately to offer
customers fewer choices and higher costs.

Is there a common thread running through these moves by Microsoft? Some
readers believe they see where Microsoft is headed, and they don't like
it.  "I don't like the future I see Microsoft designing for us, and I
[not only] do not steal software ...  [I] make my living writing and
selling software," one reader wrote.  "Now I see Microsoft being
incredibly intrusive, uploading information from my machines without my
consent or knowledge of when or what is being taken.  ...  My ZoneAlarm
regularly catches them [at my computer via] Internet access when I am
not running anything.  When I installed OfficeXP, it started beating my
hard disk with constant access ...  .  All of their additions seem to be
aimed at destroying any real competition, and locking us into paying
every year for the OS.  Where is this heading? Pay for nothing new, no
competition, rising prices for fewer packages in Office, the corporate
intimidation police, and they still have the nerve to call us
customers?"

Another link in the chain in the view of several readers is the
forthcoming Windows product activation scheme for Windows XP.  This
figures to be a tremendous source of gripes from a variety of customers
after the new OS ships, and some are already speculating about how
Microsoft might choose to employ it in the future.  "Color me cynical,
but I believe Microsoft has a longer-term goal in mind than curbing
piracy in casual installations," another reader wrote.  "Microsoft has
made it plain that they have a 'delta tracking capability in XP to see
how your configuration changes at any given time, and if it changes too
much, you have to reactivate your copy of the OS.  Lots of potential
there for annoyance, but here's a simpler (and costlier) extension of
that.  Suppose, at some point Microsoft decides to make infinitely
granular versions of XP, and to do that it starts charging for
activation keys based upon your system configuration? Your base system
works fine with its original key, but add a large hard drive, or more
memory, and product activation informs you that you have to reactivate.
At that point, there's nothing to keep Microsoft from declaring that
your new equipment constitutes an advanced configuration, requiring you
to pay more in order to obtain an activation key that would enable you
to use it."

If that seems outlandish, remember that many users already find
themselves forced to buy a retail version of Windows because their PC
manufacturer's recovery CD would not support new hardware.  And the
trend for Microsoft to innovate through its legal staff rather than
through software developers could be abetted by product activation.
"Imagine the boon Windows product activation promises for Bill's legion
of lawyers," another reader wrote.  "No more having to wait for the next
major release when they want to change the EULA (End-User License
Agreement).  They can just send out a signal that disables everyone
until they reactivate and click through the new terms ...  Do you
suppose this why Microsoft backs Uniform Computer Information
Transaction Act (UCITA)?"

Possibly.  I've long believed that one of the main motivations behind
Microsoft's enthusiastic support for UCITA has been the legal cover that
law provides for the remote and/or automatic disabling of customers'
software.  While we're on the subject of license enforcement, let me
throw in a term one alert reader just spotted in the license for
FrontPage 2002.  "You may not use the Software in connection with any
site that disparages Microsoft, MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products
or services ...  " the license reads in part.  Good thing InfoWorld
doesn't use FrontPage 2002 to post this column, I guess.

So let's see: Microsoft is trying to control how customers use OEM
software, trying to control when customers upgrade its products, trying
to control when customers upgrade their hardware, and trying to control
what customers say about Microsoft.  I think I see a pattern.

What we can expect from Microsoft in the future is more of the same.
Every move the company makes seems to take us one step closer to a world
where it is Microsoft that makes the decisions, not the customer.  If we
didn't know it already, it's pretty clear now that the courts aren't
going to restrain Microsoft from controlling its market.  The only one
who can do that is the person starring back at you in the mirror.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM