[iwar] [fc:Feds.complain.Bin.Laden.not.using.hi-tech.equipment]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-20 20:40:18

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Feds.complain.Bin.Laden.not.using.hi-tech.equipment]

Feds complain Bin Laden not using hi-tech equipment

By Kieren McCarthy

Osama Bin Laden is evading detection by not using modern telecoms
equipment, the US intelligence services have told the press.  "He
switched off a lot of communications technologies," a US intelligence
spokesman said.  "Now it is other people talking for him.  In an
innocuous conversation, you can't pick that out."

Osama is so cunning, we are told, that he is now using human messengers
and family members to deliver instructions.  "This isn't low-tech," a
former NSA consultant has been quoted as saying.  "You'd have to really
call it no-tech."

Apparently, until this week, they knew just where he was by tracking his
satellite phone and they traced his organisation by checking out
Internet traffic and email.

Now hang on a second.  Are these the same intelligence agencies that
have clearly failed to infiltrate Osama bin Laden's organisation and
that were caught completely unawares when the greatest terrorist attack
in history happened right on their own doorstep?

Only last week, we were being told that increased surveillance - taps on
all ISPs and a backdoor in encryption systems - was the only way to stop
people like this.  Now, seven days later, when hundreds of special
forces personnel are crawling around Afghanistan looking for the man,
we're told that all this technology and the billions spent on it are
obsolete because he's turned his phone off.  That we are blind as a
mole.

In fact, a mole is exactly what the West needs at the moment.  Most
companies have learnt that modern computer technology is nothing more
than a tool - a useful tool, mind - and that it's knowledge and
expertise among your staff that really cuts it.  It would seem the
intelligence services are not quite up to speed.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM