Re: [iwar] [fc:Research.slaps.crypto-banning.Feds]

From: 7Pillars Partners (partners@7pillars.com)
Date: 2001-09-24 12:08:05

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: 7Pillars Partners <partners@7pillars.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:08:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Research.slaps.crypto-banning.Feds]

I agree with your conclusions, Tony.  I laughed through most of the paper.

This one reminded me of my recent experience at DefCon9 when a 'hacker' was
talking about 'cypherpunk-grade' unmonitorable communications.  I left after 10
minutes, and that was stretching my patience.  It was clear that the people
involved in the project had no real world experience in intelligence or
tradecraft, and it was reflected in their assumptions and design (which, as
opposed to being useful, would instead get personnel killed).

The paper here struck me as essentially the same thing, and it was a true
shame.

What was the last password that -you- used that would fall to a dictionary
attack?  I haven't been that sloppy in decades.  I don't think Al-Qaida is that
sloppy either.

MW

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Tony Bartoletti wrote:

> Although the hype about "widespread use of crypto/steganography by
> terrorists" is probably overblown, I am curious how any group could examine
> a graphic image to determine if steganography were in use.  Aside from
> thousands of possible encoding schemes that could be used to embed a
> "plain-text" message, one must consider that the text could easily be
> obscured beforehand by some combination of compression or otherwise "weak"
> encryption.  The combinations and variations are staggering, and if you
> don't hit upon the right one, you see nothing out of the ordinary.
>
> As much as I oppose "crypto-banning" in general, I find the statement "The
> researchers discuss, and dismiss, the possibility
> that strong passwords were being used" to be patently self-serving.
>
> ____tony____
>
> At 10:54 PM 9/21/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Research slaps crypto-banning Feds
> >
> >By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco

> >While America's own fundamentalists - led by US Attorney General John
> >Ashcroft - prepare the most draconian assault on Americans' civil
> >liberties since the second world war, their very own causus beli seems
> >to be vanishing.
> >
> >The enormous increase in surveillance has been justified by claims that
> >terrorists are using cryptography, and in particular steganography: the
> >art of hiding information.  USA Toady has run a series of articles on
> >the theme, all predictably quoting 'anonymous' security sources,
> >describing how messages are passed hidden in picture innocuous picture
> >files on sites such as eBay.
> >
> >Or maybe, not so innocuous.  The tabloid even managed to score a
> >tasteless bullseye last week with an article that combined pornography,
> >cryptography, terrorism and sport in the same article.  For any readers
> >who doubted the message, it was illustrated with a picture of /bin/laden
> >himself.
> >
> >But steganography isn't nearly as widespread a threat as you'd believe.
> >
> >A research paper published a fortnight before the attacks on US
> >civilians and made public this week has discovered no examples of
> >steganographic content on eBay whatsoever.
> >
> >Having exhaustively examined two million images on eBay, not one was
> >found to contain steganographic content, according to academics Niels
> >Provos and Peter Honeyman, who've published the paper at the University
> >of Michigan's website.
> >
> >15,000 of the two million images were deemed to have some form of
> >steganographically-encrypted content by the JPIIhide program.  But after
> >subjecting the images to dictionary attacks, not a single hidden message
> >was discovered.  The researchers discuss, and dismiss, the possibility
> >that strong passwords were being used.  In short, they conclude, there
> >is no significant use of steganography on the Internet.
> >
> >Put in context, this research could simply prove that terrorists don't
> >use eBay to as a source for populating their model Ewok Villages.

> [...]

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM